Tennessee Fires Band Director Gary Sousa

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

You could get guests to lead a concert band?

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yes. Period. It's all crap.

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Lol. Wtf are you talking about?

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

50 church choir directors could pretend to do something as well. Pretending to be directing something is absurd.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Teach the band the pregame show, and learn rocky top. There is no other use for them.

6. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

So all they do is go up there the time of the performance and wave a stick is what you're saying? There's no preparation before hand or any other work involved?

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yes. It's crap. It's a bunch of people who've spent a decade doing music. Coordinating that is what back woods choir directors do too. Hell, they don't require a stick or degree. It's a fabricated job.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What would happen if we didn't have the role?

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I'm more referring to concert band - it wouldn't exist at that level without the director. Marching band still requires a hell of a lot of work, practice and leadership to perform the halftime shows.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why is there a concert band at a university?

11. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Why wouldn't there be? It even exists in middle and high schools.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I must interject that Dr. Julian earned his pay.

That guy had amazing dexterity with a brandy snifter. He was always animated when talking- couldn't say a word without gesturing with his hands (at least every time I saw him). The way he didn't spill the first drop from his snifter while telling a story and consequently gesturing with his hands like he was swatting away at an entire nest of yellow jackets on the attack was nothing short of miraculous. That alone justifies $75k of his yearly salary, imho.

Plus, he let my brother, a member of The Pride, sneak me into games when I didn't have a ticket. Thanks Doc!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014