Tennessee: Pregame prayer unconstitutional?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by VolDad, Sep 19, 2012.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

You literally cannot listen for five minutes of the show without one of them being completely wrong about some fact or piece of trivia. An interaction i heard a few weeks ago that, to me, sums up every day on that show:

Doc: Seattle has that quarterback from Wisconsin, the one that transferred from NC State. What's his name?
    Jeff: No, he was from North Carolina. I'm pretty sure it was North Carolina.
    Heather: Yeah, i think you're right. It was North Carolina. (pause) Ummm. Let's see here...It says...ummm. It says, Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson is his name and he transferred from NC State.
    Jeff: Yeah, that is right. Thought so.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Our performance on the field should be unconstitutional if anything.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I second that

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Hell, half the people in the stands are walking around and talking during it anyways. I am generally looking at my phone during that time. It doesn't really seem to matter one way or the other to me.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Moment of silence is classy and inclusive.

7. hallowed_hill

I don't believe anyone made that argument. My point was theological. Didn't get into whether or not they should allow distinctly Christian prayer at a state university.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree with JohnnyQuickKick's take on the Constitution. You really have to stretch that sucker beyond recognition to let it cover praying before a public event.

"I like my Constitution dead." --Antonin Scalia.

If we don't like the original document --because of what it says about shooting guns or whatever, there should be enough popular support in this country to change it or scribble up a new one. Heck, there could easily be a whole ammendment telling us Christians that we can't do this, that, and the other or even meet. The first ammendment would be pretty much nullified but that's the way this place is supposed to work. As it is, I don't see nothing in there about prayin before no ballgame. The fact of the matter is, since a few additions --which, after the first 15 have been increasingly insignificant-- popular opinion has been by and large behind the thing. Let's use it as long as that's true. When it's not, let's write another dead document or at least change what's written on this one.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Reminds me of Samuel Beckett dialogue for some reason.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'm honestly against saying a prayer AND signing the National Anthem and I am neither a atheist or anarchist.

11. hallowed_hill

Why the anthem?

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

moment of silent is beyond fine with me. It is a time that can be used however a person views it.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I think it devalues it. It should be reserved for neutral site games.

14. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

That type of amendment would really go against the spirit of religious freedom though. This has more to do with an entity that receives public funds officially endorsing a religion, which implies that the United States government is endorsing that religion. The establishment of a state religion led to many of our ancestors leaving their original countries in the first place.

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Hey Hat, I'm coming to the game this weekend. Do you have any certain type of poisonous snake you want me to bring you?

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Hearty Laugh. Thank you.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I must admit, I laughed too!

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

A coral snake or a black Mamba. Rattlesnakes are so passe.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Very interesting but entertaining direction this thread has taken

20. fun2bow

fun2bow New Member

PLEASE don't get Hatvol started on snakehandling!!!!!!!!!