Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by ptclaus98, Dec 15, 2020.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Listen, I'm a big dummy stupidhead. So what I'm about to say shouldn't surprise you. I'm not sure I believe it yet. I'm sure most of you don't want to hear it, either. I think Tennessee has a chance this weekend. I'll explain that ludicrous statement.

Texas A&M and Tennessee are both fairly balanced but base everything off their running game. Tennessee, we know likes to line up behind their big uglies and zone block you to death, maybe throwing in a trap or a counter here and there. A&M is very similar to our offense back in 2015. Talented DTQB, and a pair of complementary RBs. Spiller is the bowling ball while Smith is quick and shifty and can catch the ball out of the backfield. As far as the passing game goes, A&M is solid but not spectacular, their dominance on the ground leaves space for their playmakers, but they don't use the middle of the field as much as other teams we've faced. Mond has improved, and they are comfortable letting him make those dangerous outside the hashes mid range throws. He's been great at taking care of the football this year. Meanwhile, we're all aware of the struggles we've had at the QB position as well. The less said the better.

Defensively, A&M is stout against the run. They're 9th in rush yards allowed, giving up just over 100 yards per game. In the air they give up 228, which is good for 67th in the nation. Which doesn't sound that impressive until you realize that Kentucky, who leads the SEC with 220 pass yards against per game, is 51st. Alabama is 64th. So overall, given the context they've been good against the pass as well. Tennessee, we all know about how bad this defense is, particularly against the pass. We aren't too bad against the run however. If you break it down to yards per attempt against, we're only two spots behind A&M. They haven't been tested.

So up to this point, it's pretty obvious, right? Texas A&M has the edge in the passing game, and eventually their balance will cause fits for our defense. However, I think if Tennessee can win TOP, which we've done every game since Bama, despite being godawful and pretty unbalanced on offense, then we have a chance. But we have to start fast, if we can play a strong first half, possess the ball and score, and get a TO or 2, that puts us in a good position. Arkansas ran all over them but they couldn't win TOP. If we frustrate them in the running game, and hang on against a passing game that doesn't exploit our weaknesses nearly as much as others we have faced, we can do that. And with the improved passing game we can hopefully not only sustain drives, but keep them unbalanced.

All that being said, when it comes down to it, I don't think we can outscheme that offense, or get the turnovers we need. I think we play our best but I'm gonna got with:

Texas A&M 38
    Tennessee 23

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Clubber! Clubber! What is your prediction?"

"My prediction?

[​IMG] "

ptclaus98 likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want Tennessee to win so TAMU won't make the playoffs. I've watched them play quite a bit, if Mond is on the team plays great. If Mond is off, they are average at best. I do think Tennessee can slow their running game down and make Mond throw it. He'll probably have easy throws between the hashes

Nothing would make me happier than for Bailey to play a near perfect game, Tennessee wins and there's a little bit of positivity around the program again.

ptclaus98, VolDad, Tar Volon and 4 others like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want to see us compete all the way through.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

A&M is gonna need style points. That could be bad

TDVol1989 and utvol0427 like this.
  6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

True, but a couple of dud possessions and Tennessee off to a fast start could get them frustrated.

7. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

A&M will start slow - it's a noon kickoff. But they could almost sleepwalk to halftime ahead 21-10. Then after Gomer makes his usual brilliant halftime adjustments and Jimbo peels the paint off the walls in his locker room A&M comes out like they are on fire. They take control early in the 3rd quarter then keep their foot on our throat the rest of the way and cruise to a big win.

A&M 52
    Tennessee 17

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is either going to be a close-ish game or A&M is gonna hang 60.

As of yesterday spread was 12.5 and O/U was 52, which makes NO sense to me.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

they will convert 50%+ of their 3rd downs with play action as Mond extends drives with his legs as our lbs have their backs to him in coverage or we have dropped Baron or Harrison 20 yards deep into coverage on a telegraphed zone blitz

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

32ish-20ish?

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I don't like playing UT games but I'm tempted to lay down a big boy play on A&M. I don't see how they don't cover even if it goes up to 21 but right now the line is still 14. I may buy 1 point and go ahead and grab 13 today.

12. Ssmiff

Btw if you are in the state and gamble on line, go to action247.com and sign up. You can bet and if you choose, go get your cash the same day. Dont think any other sites offer the same opportunity

DownNDirty likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

32-20, 31-21, somewhere right in there.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm afraid Mond will eat us alive outside the pocket.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If they come in thinking about style points wgwtfa.

16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

A&M by 20

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

TN wins this game. Jimbo is gonna Jumbo.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That would make me happy

NYY likes this.
  19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

As close to the Tenny kiss of death as we can get with Tenny MIA.

SetVol13, Memtownvol, Indy and 4 others like this.
  20. Ssmiff

Unhappy with the election, Tenny moved to Nicaragua where he and hat have a call in show

SetVol13 and Memtownvol like this.