Thanks, Hat...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NYY, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You understand that you're using the same logic that Christians often ask of you, right?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I'm not. I've demonstrated that it affects more blacks than whites. I've demonstrated that it doesn't occur in predominantly white sports such as hockey, tennis, golf, etc. What I have failed to do is convince anyone that "racism" is anything but someone purposefully setting out to hurt a particular race. And I've failed to get you to actually make a case other than "nuh-uh." This isn't a matter of lack of evidence.

Notice how you still haven't told me specifically why you believe it is not racist. Am I to understand that you feel I have not given you any reasons as to why I do not believe there is evidence of any deities?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not sure how you've managed to demonstrate anything in those other sports (other than your usual I say so, therefore it is). Other than hockey, the model isn't remotely the same.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I feel I was told? FEEL? I was told flat out I was a racist. Flat out. Why? because I was a preppy looking WASP who had benefited by other people being put down and therefore part of the system.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

did you ignore me pointing out that when the NBA was predominately white they had far more stringent early entry requirements than they do today?

6. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Lift your feet people, the Earth is freezing over from the ground up....

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They also once had rules that simply excluded blacks. How's that for history?

8. hatvol96

Of course, it couldn't be that those rules were designed to give white players who could afford to sit in college for four years an advantage. No chance.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ok now it's an advantage to go to 4 years of college?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fact remains that the blacker the NBA became the more liberal the draft rules up until very recently. I'm not seeing the blatent racism.

11. hatvol96

It's no different than a poll tax or a literacy test was in that era. It's racism being cloaked as "standards." White players were, by and large, better positioned to complete four years in college.

12. hatvol96

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the ability to claim hardship and circumvent the four year wait was the result of litigation, not something the league collectively bargained. That set in motion the ability of players to enter the league early. They were forced to change. They didn't do shit willingly.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fair enough, but certainly they could have pulled the same crap they did a couple of years ago 20 years ago if the intent was to keep the black man down rather than simply trying to stop their GMs from being idiots and drafting unproven 18 year olds from poland.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

So your memories of being told you were a racist for being part of a system supports your claim that intent is necessary? That doesn't make sense, droski. Either

A: You were told in your class exactly what I am saying (intent is not necessary for something to be racist) and thus cannot support your claim that racism is only possible with intent based on your memory from that class

or

B: Your memories of the class include the instructor declaring that intent is necessary, and thus are able support his claim.

Which is it?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I admit when I'm wrong. Just doesn't happen as much for me as some others.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

A

Which is why i mentioned it in the first place. it was bullshit when they said it and it's bs when you say it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

So your memory doesn't dispute what I'm saying. Got it.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it wasn't intended as a dispute. it was intended as a slam. both are ridiculous arguments.

you are basically saying that anything that negatively effects minorities more than white people is racist just as long as some white people decided to do it.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am saying what I am saying. Trying to reduce it to a "basically" distorts the point. Actions/institutions that affect a group with less power and perpetuates because of that less power are racist actions/institutions. Arbitrarily controlling the market in such a way as to squeeze a year of free performance out of players is bullshit. And it is racist.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is it still racist if said actions/institutions are affecting a group that isn't of a different race? Am I a racist if I decide to paint my house pink, the houses around me drop in value because of it, and my neighboors are black? i agree it's bullshit. i don't agree it's racist. being an asshole to someone is basically always racially motivated as long as you are of different skin tones and you have more money? whaa? if i'm a principal of an inner city school and i'm doing a shitty job at it and i'm in a position of autority with power over my minority students, i must be a racist? I just can't be a lousy principal? the black principal with doing the same thing gets the racist pass? you realize how ridiculous that argument is?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013