The 142nd Running of the Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports' started by cotton, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

There is local talk of Nyquist being a superhorse and 3-1 being too long.

I'll be at the oaks this year but watch the Derby from my couch.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/horses/triple/derby/2016/05/04/kentucky-derby-2016--entries-odds-post-positions-for-saturdays-race-at-churchill-downs/83922364/

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The wife and I had plans to go but had to change them due to a family thing. We will definitely be watching though.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

His times don't scream super horse. I smell a long shot. My man Sam is my pick and I'm sure he'll finish last

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Agreed, he's not running knock your socks off races, better than the competition but that's not telling the whole story. I'll take a flyer with Tom's Ready at 30-1, Dallas Stewart has done well putting seemingly overmatched horses in the money.

5. cotton

I think what makes him stand out was his smoking undefeated mohayman in Florida Derby. When you look aback and see he is 2yr breeders cup champion, it's pretty impressive.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

This is something I just can't get into at all.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

True and obviously if he's the best horse in a weak field he's still the best

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I use to work for a race track. And even then I really only pay attention around this time. We have been throwing Kentucky derby parties recently and I signed up for twinspires so we have real betting. It's a lot of fun since you only need to concentrate for a couple of minutes, but you have the build up. We bet the early races too

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Me either. Glad people get enjoyment out of it, however.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I wanted to sign up for twin spires but I was going to have to send in copies of my SSI Card, tax document and utility bill in order to do so. I said **** it.

11. cotton

Pick me a filly, droski. I have no clue about the oaks.

12. chavisut

Yeah.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't remember it being that bad, but I did it a couple of years ago. I think I had to scan my driver's license.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

even when I was following it pretty closely and knew the major players I couldn't pick horses very well. i'll leave that up to others.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when I worked at the track 99% of the regulars we either foreign born, usually Chinese, or very old or both. it's a dying sport for a reason. part of it is these companies are unwilling to put any money into it so the facilities are dumps outside of santa anita and Churchill downs and the like. I pretty much didn't know anyone really into it who wasn't some form of degenerate gambler. I still follow it a little, but i might actually go to the track once a year max and only really bet online for the derby.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Superfecta box: Exaggerator, Creator, Gun Runner, and Mohaymen.

17. cotton

Thus far today, I have failed to cash a ticket. Oaks went Cathryn Sophia, land over sea, Lewis bay

18. cotton

Luckily, I am sitting very close to Randy Jackson, Travis tritt, the guy from ***** eye, Joey from n sync, and some lady we think is a real housewife.

19. chavisut

I'm taking Hay Girl Hay.

20. cotton

Wife almost got in fight with Joey fatone (SP?) That was worth all of the cost.