The Alex Rodriguez Drama Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by robvols, Oct 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. robvols

robvols Member

Looks like Joe Girardi isn't going to put up with those who can't hit, especially star players. Therefore, he is having AROD warm the bench, and letting those who warmed the bench get a chance to play.

Well. AROD is btchng over not being in the lineup. He thinks he should play no matter what despite he is no longer the offensive threat he used to be (mainly because he roided up).

I heard that the Yankees may end up eating the money owed for his remaining years of his contract (projected to be 82 to 100 million+) and trade him away (like they did to A.J.Burnett). One team that has been mentioned is the MIAMI MARLINS.

If he was a free agent, he is only worth 1 year/5 mill.

I can't wait for the off-season to start.

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Was certainly better pre-Madonna (just wanted to use pre-Madonna correctly).

I would take him for 5 million a year for the remainder of his contract, easy. Low risk, high reward.

I'm guessing that any money the Yankees toss in would still count against their luxury tax figures, right? I remember hearing that it's going to be important for teams to dip below the tax threshold at least once every three years to avoid some penalties. Unless an A-Rod trade helps that end, I don't see it making much financial sense if the Yankees still have to foot the vast majority of the bill, especially if A-Rod challenges some records in another team's uni.

3. robvols

robvols Member

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Would the Yanks really eat $100 million to move him?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know if they would or not, but I don't think you can put a price on getting rid of a whiny [itch bay]

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

where has A-Rod ever complained about all this? I can't stand the Yankees and I don't particularly care for ARod, but he's done everything right as a teammate for being benched. Said he's in it for the team, he's not playing well, etc. There's been nothing from A-Rod. Get your facts straight OP.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He reportedly told Girardi he wasn't happy with the move. Other than that, I don't know of anything he's said, at least publicly anyway. And I can't imagine ESPN wouldn't be all over it if he did say something publicly.

Other than maybe put butts in seats, I can't give you one reason Miami should trade for him.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I could see him improving some (on and off field) with a change of scenery, and he's still better than average with the bat. He'll also get hit #3000 next year if he plays at least 100 or so games.

Of course, he's also getting old and will be more suited for DH at some point. He's definitely not worth his remaining contract, and probably not worth half, especially with the massive home run plateau bonuses should he reach those. If the Yankees knock it down under $10 million all-inclusive, though, I think it's a pretty fair deal for on-field alone.

9. CardinalVol

Since 07, his numbers have trended downward in a hurry across the board. I just don't see it.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Other than complaining to Girardi, he's done everything right this time.

11. CardinalVol

Well, hitting on the chick right after he was benched probably wasn't the wisest of moves though.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I wouldn't go in expecting 40 home runs from him. Maybe 20-25 (prorated for missed time perhaps) with good on-base skills and decent defense at third. That seems to be about the level he's found of late. If he keeps getting worse, then it's not as great of an idea, but there's a little room for decline before he's no longer worth pennies on the dollar.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Slumpbusters are encouraged, imo.

14. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Well, despite his slump, I would have a hard time seeing $100 million sitting on the bench and not in the lineup. Even crazier with Jeter out.

15. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I wouldn't classify speaking to the manager "[itch bay]ing" as implied in the OP.

Tough spot for all involved, I can't see him not moving over the winter, and probably playing noticeably better.

He's actually taken a lot of bullets for other guys this week and taken it well.

16. robvols

robvols Member

Too much ESPN Radio for me. I blame it on Buster Onley

And now the drama can officially begin after the Yanks got swept up like yesterday's news.

17. He's also allegedly underwater on a real estate development in Miami. That would be insane if he ends up broke.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have no idea how you could be broke after making half a billion dollars on two contracts, but if anyone can do it, I bet it is A-rod.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You give me 1 million, I can turn it into living comfortably.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

underwater on a development doesn't in any way mean broke. He's likely a financial partner in a deal with a local developer and they're underwater so he's making his portion, or all, of the note payments while awaiting rising tides. The benefit of being superwealthy is that he can afford the interest clock.