POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If that is the case then 99% of the stuff I read on tis message board is "garbage".

justingroves likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'll go with life experiences and anecdotal evidence when applicable, everytime.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Apparently if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then your opinion that it is a duck is garbage without DNA testing, Gnome what not, etc.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That is a lie. As in this exact case, we're asking for specifics.

Would you like to see specifics on Trump? The insurrection? The objection before the insurrection? Covid?

Very few people anywhere had trouble saying what they disliked about what Trump was talking about.

You're spouting generalities, claiming everyone else is too. And that is false.

5. fl0at_

Show me the duck.

Because all I've been shown is "if it is visible, moves, and makes sounds it's a duck."

6. fl0at_

And that is why you live in a narrow world, and luckily have no leadership responsibilities.

7. Ssmiff

Haha. Ok.

8. fl0at_

Break it down man, what are your life experiences that are soooo distinct they set you apart.

Have you... worked in law enforcement? Firefighting? Volunteering? Social work? Have you lived out of the country for a significant period of time? Have you lived out of the South? Have you ever even lived out of Tennessee?

Because, based on years of commentary, you seem like a pretty average 50ish year old, who grew up in a not great area, applied yourself, went to college, finished a degree, and then worked in just a few industries, starting a family, and settling down in a nice area, barely a few hundred miles from where you were born.

And that's a great life, and successful life. But that doesn't make you widely experienced.

9. Ssmiff

I said when applicable. There are many things I would need to learn from another. Others I'm not going to take advice from some random dude or study, most of which can be skewed any way they want it to read.
    Ive buried roommates and parents, so I don't need someone who hasn't to tell me how to move on. I've been in near fatal car accident, so I don't need someone who hasn't to tell me how to mentally recover. Many surgeries, so I don't need someone to prove to me how to rebound. I've started 3 businesses and employed people who were able to support their families, so I will lean on my success doing it. I've raised a special needs kid who now lives on his own and works, drives, etc. You gonna tell me how to do it better? I've raised another kid who doesn't drink or smoke at age 18, so I don't need a parenting book to teach me. I've had to help a 13 yr old son recover from a friend committing suicide. I've had to tell 3 boys their mom had cancer, and sat by her side during the 2 yr ordeal.
    Those experiences are life experiences, which I doubt you know much about, so maybe you need a study or proof. I've lived it, and don't. I've also been around many types of people and one can generally get a feel for the character of a person within a few minutes, without proof.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's the post it took for you to come to that realization?

Indy and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. fl0at_

Those are great life experiences, and they are still narrow, and specific to you. And that is the point. Resting on your own experiences is limiting.

And please, [itch bay], I was in two wars. I've buried friends, roommates, brothers; some bloody, some self made bloody, some peaceful and some violent. And those are still narrow, to me, and am not, for a second, going to tell someone how to do it better. Just that maybe they should let other people take a shot at explaining it better, than me, and maybe I should consider what they say, analytically, rather than thinking I still know best.

12. Ssmiff

If I were you, I would understand my own war experiences and not rely on somebody else to "prove" your own opinion of your experiences is right or wrong, which makes us different in that aspect.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Biden - “Among the outrageous parts of this new state law, it ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over.” and another time said, “You’re going to close a polling place at 5 o’clock when working people just get off. This is all about keeping working folks and ordinary folks that I grew up with from being able to vote.”

Language - “Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the registrars may extend the hours for voting to permit advance voting from 7:00 A.M. until 7:00 P.M.”

Biden - “It’s sick,” “Deciding in some states that you cannot bring water to people standing in line, waiting to vote.” and a day later Biden said the new election law “makes it a crime to provide water to voters while they wait in line.” and repeated several more times.

Language - (e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote.

In addition a voter is allowed to bring their own food and water.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's so prevalent that providing specifics is a waste of time. You don't have to "look" to find the specifics. They're sitting there and have been sitting there, constantly, in plain sight. The people that have been ignoring the specifics for the last 5 years aren't going to suddenly acknowledge them now because you point them out.

15. fl0at_

Yes, we are different. I had a different job than most people in the military. And every time, I was in some specialized situation.

I can't use my experience to say how someone else experienced their time, not even in my AO. If they said they had all the food they wanted, I couldn't point to the days I lived on a single MRE.

If they said they felt in fear of their lives on a specific mission, I can't say that's wrong because I didn't.

And I can't say someone else is wrong if they say they never felt anxiety, because I did every single time I stepped out of the wire. But it was business time on the outside, and I had to put that behind me and get to work.

So yes. We're different. I take it all in, and process it.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Now do the Jim Crow one.

17. fl0at_

If you notice the word "may" in "may extend," means that what Biden says is true. It doesn't say WILL extend. Which means, absolutely, some polls (a not determined amount today) will close at 5. Or none may close at five, if they choose to stay open.

So, not incorrect there.

If you look back at the code change, the law absolutely says nobody can hand out water.

The "not be construed part" is the commentary. Justice Scalia, Indy in this board, and probably you as well, have all argued that the law should be enforced as written, not interpreted.

And the law is as you posted it in the other post I responded to last night that explicitly says it is not lawful for anyone to hand out water. Anyone. No exceptions.

What he said was correct. It doesn't mean it will be prosecuted. But what he said is correct, it is made illegal.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Per Factcheck.org
    • Biden wrongly claimed the new Georgia law would “close a polling place at 5 o’clock when working people just get off.”
    the president has repeatedly made the false claim that the new Georgia law would “close a polling place at 5 o’clock when working people just get off.” The new law sets the minimum hours for early voting on weekdays at 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; the old law said early voting “shall be conducted during normal business hours.”

County officials can keep early voting locations open for longer, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

On March 26, in a statement on the Georgia law, Biden said: “Among the outrageous parts of this new state law, it ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over.” And in an interview on ESPN on March 31, the president repeated the claim, saying: “You’re going to close a polling place at 5 o’clock when working people just get off. This is all about keeping working folks and ordinary folks that I grew up with from being able to vote.”

To be clear, Biden is talking about hours for early voting, though he doesn’t say that. The voting hours on Election Day — 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the state — haven’t been changed.

For early, or advance, voting, the old law said it “shall be conducted during normal business hours on weekdays.” The new law specifies that the time period shall be “beginning at 9:00 A.M. and ending at 5:00 P.M. on weekdays.” The new law also adds a mandatory weekend day for early voting, requiring two Saturdays of early voting. The old law required one.

The law makes Sunday early voting optional for up to two Sundays before elections.

The language goes on to say: “Except as otherwise provided in this paragraph, the registrars may extend the hours for voting to permit advance voting from 7:00 A.M. until 7:00 P.M.” The old law said “counties and municipalities” could extend such voting “beyond regular business hours.”

So, the new law gives specific requirements on early voting times, while the old law gave county elections officials more leeway to make these decisions. In fact, while the law now mandates two Saturdays instead of one, it also says counties and municipalities can’t hold early voting on any days besides those outlined in the law.

But the law doesn’t “close a polling place at 5 o’clock” for early voting, as Biden claimed. Counties can keep early voting going until 7 p.m. In an April 1 press briefing, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki acknowledged that the law provided “options to expand” the hours but said the law “standardized it at five.”

Some experts told CNN that the language in the law could cause confusion on what hours are permitted on weekdays. Richard L. Hasen, a professor of law and political science at the University of California, Irvine School of Law, and author of “The Voting Wars,” similarly told us in an email: “I think the language in the statute is somewhat ambiguous on the 5 pm closing time, but Georgia officials have said that they are interpreting it to allow staying open until 7, which is a better thing from the point of view of voters’ opportunities to vote.”

The language about permitting advanced voting from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. comes after a description of weekend voting and a stipulation that the optional Sunday voting hours should be “no longer than 7:00 A.M. through 7:00 P.M.” But Kemp’s press secretary told CNN weekday voting is allowed in that 7-to-7 time frame.

19. fl0at_

Everything about this shows that what Biden says is true.

He did not specify only Election Day, or otherwise. He said polling places. And yes, early voting places will close at 5. Previously there was no set time, as noted in your write up.

Everything about this shows that what was said was true. Not specific. But true.

Which is why specifics are important.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You can lead a horse to water but you can't....