The catch all "Run Game" thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ok, I ask this question because I can't understand how the run game is so bad. Predictability on Chaney's part? Hiestand sucks? We were at least a little better in the run game last year, with true freshmen starting.

What do you think?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Scheme (Chaney) and coaching (Hiestand).

It's obvious they all planned on riding Bray's arm as far as it would take them. That's not really bad considering the RB situation, but you have to have a threat of a run game. Even before Bray went out, it wasn't there. The Young package isn't too bad because he's a midget that really only needs about 10 or 12 touches. It's never running a fake with him in or even something different when he's in the game is ridiculous.

The OL looks lost. They can't decide if they want to zone or man up and road grade. It's just poor execution and when they do their jobs, Poole falls down.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It is really starting to piss me off that we miss so many assignments throughout the course of one game. Is this a purely zone blocking scheme we run?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They've started to run more man on man blocking but they suck at it. I assume it's from lack of practice. They ran zone almost exclusively last year.

Zone blocking is easier and requires less skill I guess than man. The line has gotten bigger, which in theory means they should be better at man than zone.

It seems like they are in between changing schemes

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That would make sense. I guess Man is more effective once you master it, but we sure as hell aren't anywhere close to mastering it yet.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just depends on the RB.

Bama zones a lot because they have one cut backs.

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

If Dooley thinks the O-Line problem is on Hiestand, I don't think he will hesitate to make a change. He fired Chuck Smith, and they were supposed to be friends.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We have one of those, but he is a walk on.

9. coach799

coach799 New Member

The biggest problem I have with the run game is the lack of progress from last year to this. Common sense tells you that between time in the weight room, working together as a unit to build trust and confidence, plus coaching different principles and techniques, that this group would make positive strides in all areas, but it simply has not happened in the run game. Somebody is to blame on the staff. There is no other explanation that I can come up with!

We are the laughing stock on that front. Poole and the rest are not that bad. There are defenders in the backfield on almost every play.

GO VOLS!!

10. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

I've heard the opposite said too. I don't think it matters what we run if we don't have the personnel trained well enough to execute it.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We are not very good at zone blocking, but we are even worse at man blocking. Our OL knows (or should know) the play and the count. The Defense doesn't, yet they beat our OL off the ball. Our guys are rolling out of their stance instead of firing off the ball. The result? The D line is initiating contact, and it's on OUR side of the LOS. It's fairly obvious, like JG said, that the overwhelming majority of the OL's reps have been geared towards pass blocking which is much more passive than run blocking. It looks to me that this passiveness have pervaded into all blocking. This is a coaching issue (Heistand). I would Oklahoma drill those guys until they puked, and I would do some more. Until a nasty streak is instilled, we will continue to be absolutely dominated on the offensive LOS.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mine is the passive attitude, which falls directly on the staff.

13. JayVols

Zone blocking requires better footwork and more intelligence, but you still need to be a nasty son of a [itch bay] that wants to dominate the man across from you to be effective. We don't have a single nasty guy in the OL, or at least I haven't seen one. We need some Richie Incognito types. All we have now is a bunch of pre Sandra Bullock speech Michael Oher type pansies out there.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well said.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hey jay, I've got a question for you but it says my PMs are past quota even after I delete everything. Do you have an email address where I could shoot you a question?

16. JayVols

It wouldn't let me send either. Got the same message. Oh, shit! The PM Nazi's have hit here, too.....

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sent. Thanks, if you want to take it down I have it now.

18. JayVols

Just sent you a reply. Hope that helps you out or at least gives you a direction to go. Holler if I can help more.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Both of these are on the money. Our OL has not learned the technique or attitude for run blocking. Their attitude/aggressiveness is certainly part of the problem, but as Groves said they are in the middle of transitioning/learning too. They don't seem to be picking it up as quickly as you would expect though and I'm not sure where that blame goes.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Go hire Bob Bostad at Wisconsin to coach the OL.