POLITICS The Curious Case of Paul Whelan's Espionage Arrest

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by JayVols, Jan 3, 2019.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This is weird. Not sure what to think as the guy was kicked out of the Marines for larceny, was active on Russian Facebook (VK, I think it is), and has made several trips to Russia the last several years.

It's also odd the Ambassador John Huntsman himself visited him.

The notion Whelan was grabbed for trade bait for Maria Butina adds some MAJOR intrigue, potentially, given that Russia has completely denied she was operating as an agent to infiltrate conservative groups. If I were the NRA, Trump Campaign, or any one of the dozens of other conservative talking heads that happily entertained her, I'd be shitting bricks right now at the shitstorm potential of this.

Or it could be that he really is a spy, or he is just another way for Putin to screw with the US.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think it’s almost certainly trade bait and I’m also suspicious - don’t think he is just caught up in this.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, it is trade bait, and he is a spy. Just my hunch.

Joseph Brant and JayVols like this.
  4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We will grab our ankles for Putin again. It is what we do.

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.
  5. JayVols

Absolutely

6. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Whoever they already had wasn't suitable for trade so they snatched someone else and were very public about it. Just playing the game, naturally we'll have a fit about this poor innocent man being held by the evil Russians and public opinion will push for a swap.

7. JayVols

I'm not sure why anyone would want to go to Moscow under the current circumstances.

Actually, I'm not sure why anyone would want to go to Russia under any circumstances.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The whole "identity theft, dishonorable discharge" for a decorated marine smacks of a cover story for a spy.

Joseph Brant and JayVols like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

And Russia isn't trying so hard for a trade if Butina didn't plead GUILTY. She's cooperating, naughty spy.

JayVols likes this.
  10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, that’s what I thought as well.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Hard to argue with that.