The most frustrating thing last night.....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Was getting the ball inside the 10 or short yardage and then start passing. Then when we would try running, not have a lead blocker! Literally drove me crazy. Because on those times we did use said lead blocker, it turned out well. When they spread of out on D, and left us with 1 backer in the middle their qb audibled every time to a run.

Watching Bray from the end zone is a real treat. He never seemed to use a progression. He locked on the WR and nothing else. I've been a supporter of the OL but watching that last night left me with doubt.

And knowing that we got flat out out coached by Terry Bowden, is flat out embarrassing!

Edit: and after talking to several formers, they ain't happy with whats going on either.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Please elaborate on the feelings about Dooley among former players and any impact they might have in facilitating change.

One thing I noticed last night was that we run a lot of running plays with our OL in 2 point stances. At 6'3"+ and 300lbs+ to nearly a man, they can't help but roll out of a stance instead of being heavy on their hand that would help them come off low and with forward momentum. That seems insane to me. Am I missing something with that philosophy?

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The TE has the best stance on the whole line.

4. Oldvol75

I know what you mean, when the DL is down and you start above them, all leverage is lost. The D lineman is already under your pad level and you have NO chance of blocking him, I don't care how big you are or how strong, you can't block someone that has leverage on you.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I can imagine that being magnified when your 6-4 or better.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's simply piss poor coaching. The basic fundamentals of the game are low man wins and wrap up when tackling. Tennessee hasn't done this since Dooley got here

7. Oldvol75

That only tells other teams you are pass first, run second team. The OL stances that is.

8. Oldvol75

Another thing that bothered was the pre warm ups, the ones before they come out in full pads. Let me clarify this first. I listened to music before each game I played in. BUT I had a problem with the players "on the field" with there head phones on and music devices on. I may just be an oldfart here, but as a coach I would want a time to come where my players began to think about the game more.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't care too much about that, but it should be an earned right.