The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

If Duke wins tonight, it’ll be K’s 100th career tournament win. If they lose, he walks away stuck on 99.

wreck em Tech

10SEvols likes this.
  2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Not a fan of Dook. I hope they lose.

Savage Orange likes this.
  3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Floppy McFlopperson from Arkansas got another charge call he didn’t deserve. He was in the restricted area.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Flopper gets an offensive bailout call. No idea why he gets away with so much.

5. Ssmiff

Of course Michigan misses 20 layups tonight.

6. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

[uck fay] Michigan.

The phantom "charges" pizz me off. So, [uck fay] arky.

7. Ssmiff

3 or 4 fouls on Chet were arky players lunging into him. Biggest * was arky stepping clearly out of bounds then kicked out for a 3 by floppy. Momentum change that extended the lead and Zags never recovered.
    That said, zags guard play didn’t look as good as the past. Some of that due to ark and some due to less talented than expected. No dominant pg

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

[uck fay] arky, because arky.

9. Ssmiff

At Pete pressuring the hell out of purdue

10. Ssmiff

Should we just get 2 giants like Purdue and throw it to them every time? Boring iyam

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe the worst team is going to win this tournament instead of the best. It’s like a reverse tournament

NashVol11 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe single elimination tournaments maximize variance, making weird runs like this more likely than they would be otherwise, even if still unlikely overall.

InVolNerable likes this.
  13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

They do, but for St. Peter’s I also wouldn’t say these have been extreme outlier games. They are defending and just outplaying people.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

From what I read LSUs entire team has either left or entered the transfer portal. Every single player.

IP likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Meet LSU's 2022-2023 basketball team!!

[​IMG]

Poppa T, Ssmiff and justingroves like this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I just don’t get this approach to trying to bolster the women’s game.

The tweet is not a lie, but the insinuation that goes along with it is. People don’t like being lied to, so, naturally, they respond to the tweet, pointing out that the mens tournament isn’t played on ESPN.

And then people respond to those responses, aghast that anyone would dare question the viewership strength of the women’s game. One person says “We aren’t competing with the men. We are competing with any sport that gets less that 5 million viewers in that time slot, which is a lot.” … But the original tweet LITERALLY compared you to the men.

It’s a counterintuitive approach. You’re trying to trick people into thinking everybody is watching a game in an attempt to get more people to watch moving forward. But people don’t like being tricked, so when they recognize they’re being tricked, they become adversarial, even if they would normally be a supporter, or, at the least, not a detractor, of the women's game.

Say that it was the most watched womens college basketball game since ‘04 or whatever, make a general comment about how womens sports are important, and let everyone move on with their day.

17. NorrisAlan

What did she say that was factually wrong? Perhaps you are reading more into that there is? If she left out the (men or women) part, would it have changed anything? Because if she left it out, that would then simply be implied, so nothing would have changed.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nothing she said was factually wrong. I said that in my post. The tweet is not a lie.

But she's being intentionally misleading by making an unbalanced comparison. And people don't like to be misled.

19. NorrisAlan

What is unbalanced about it? If she had said "highest rated basketball game on ESPN since 2008" would that be unbalanced? Or do you want her to say "highest rated women's game on ESPN since 2000"?

What is it she should have said and why would it be 'not misleading'?

InVolNerable likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why is she limiting the data set to ESPN? What reason is there to do so, other than to eliminate the most watched college basketball games of any given year from the data?