The OBC

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If you saw his interview going into the tunnel at halftime, did you notice:
    1. How particularly upset and sort of exhausted he was? No one likes to have their ass-kicked, for sure, but he just looked like a beaten man....very un-OBC-like, IMO.
    2. His pronounced limping? Like a knee....or a hip....

He has certainly brought the South Carolina program to new heights, any further than many thought possible. But, and a with all due (and sincere) respect to DarthVisor, he just hasn't been able to get them over the hump, as evidenced by having made a single trip to the SECCG (2010). Were USC in the West, with Bama, LSU, Auburn and (now) aTM looming, it'd be understandable - as you've basically got to beat 2 of the top teams in college football to make it. But, as we know, they're in the East, and whose SECCG representative couldn't assert any legitimate threat at being the best team in the SEC, much less the nation, and for several years now.

So, despite his many successes and the new heights he has helped the USC program to achieve....the fact remains that he's never been better than the hapless Mark Richt, been able to take advantage of Florida's free-fall, and hasn't even put Tennessee away, despite their being in complete (otherworldly?) disarray.

The he man is almost 70 years old, and if widespread and oft-cited reports are to be believed, he's already spending upwards of 40-50 hours a week on the golf course, if not more. He's won SEC Championships. He's won National Championships. He has made enough money so as to ensure that his grandkids never have to work a day in their lives. He's been around long enough to have truly become the straightest-shooting soundbyte - and voice of reason in the league - and firmly holds the unquestioned role of Elder Statesman and Dean of SEC coaches.

He's a cocky (no pun intended) SOB, to be sure, but despite this, he's never seemed to be so personally arrogant as to be content with just riding a program to lesser and lesser heights, however slow the decline, or pleased anyone else may be. I wonder if that's happening at USC, and with the Ol' Ball Coach, right now.

I think that this is his last season, barring something completely unknown / unforeseen. Two, at absolute most, IMO.

And given my white-hot hatred of the man while at Florida (I hated him more than Kiffin and Dooley, combined), it's odd to now feel a sense of sincere sadness at the thought of the a SOS-less SEC.

Somewhere along the way, you can't help but respect all that he's done, and to like the damned guy.

Post Script- I still hope Tennessee beats the shit out of him and USC, preferably by 100+ points, but just sayin'.

Edit: Fixed error on SECCG '10. My bad.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He has been limping pretty badly for a couple of years now.

And I do not see him coaching after this year. He looks tired and old and just doesn't have nearly the drive he used to have. It happens to everyone, and he can ride the golf cart into the sunset knowing he will go down as one of the greatest coaches in SEC/NCAA history.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He did take them to the SECCG in 2010

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't care what he says, he wants Bryant's record.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_SEC_Championship_Game

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I saw that too. He just looks tired and beat down.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

He has always come across like that when his teams are playing bad imo.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Agreed.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Beep... Beep...

11. Tenacious D

12. Tenacious D

You may be right....and maybe I read too much into it.

But he didn't just look and sound disappointed and frustrated, but dejected and defeated.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He definitely looked different. He looked like a guy that lumps hay bales for living and one day looks down and goes "Dammit, I don't want to have to lift that thing again."

He is done.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

"Over the hump" is pretty relative. In a time when the SEC is recognized as the strongest conference he took a team with three bowl wins in school history and got three straight top ten finishes (#4 last season).

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's done a hell of a job there. I'm betting that he wishes that he could have done it his way, but he's built a winner out of running the ball and playing defense.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He'll coach at least 3 more years.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I loved to see Spurrier get pissed and throw down his visor. Like TD, I have come to appreciate his talent and humor. I played against him in high school, we beat them his senior year. He was cocky then, but backed it up. Lettering in three sports, he was a leader in all three. As a starting pitcher in baseball he never lost a game in three years, and Science Hill won two straight state championships.

18. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I couldn't stand him at UF, but I admit I'm a fan. That offensive line was awful, and the D was pathetic. Anyone see his post game interview? I cracked up when he said "how did you like that 3-4 defense"

19. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Idk the halftime score, but knowing 30 minutes into the season that you're gonna fall short of your goal for the season is a kick in the [penis]. Basically means everything you've done the last 8 months was worthless.

20. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Good post, TD.

I love the man to death, but he just hasn't been able to win the big one (a championship). It seems like every year under his watch we have had an inexplicable loss (UT last year; no disrespect!; LSU OR UF the year before; Auburn the year before; UK the year before). I so badly want him to win an SEC Title before he leaves, but I'm starting to lose hope of that ever happening. Regardless, I appreciate all he has done for the University of South Carolina. (Excuse me if I appear to have my garnet glasses on; trying to be optimistic after last night)