The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 24, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. That was pretty much what I expected to see tonight. This team's glaring weaknesses make it almost impossible to envision them beating a good team on the road.
    2. Coach Martin and his staff have to address the point guard situation in the spring signing period. There's too much frontcourt potential to have it wasted by the horrific ballhandling we're seeing now.
    3. Though he got sloppy with the ball in garbage time, Kedren Johnson is impressive. That's an in state recruiting battle it would have been nice to win. Johnson would be playing huge minutes for Tennessee.
    4. Coach Martin should be on the phone with Ron Hunter first thing in the morning. Georgia State looks like a good landing spot for Jordan McRae.
    5. Cameron Tatum and Skylar McBee were nothing short of abominable. If the fall signees are as good as Josh Richardson, McBee needs to prepare for M.L. Carr duty next season.
    6. Jarnell Stokes turned the ball over at a dizzying pace and looked lost offensively. That shouldn't obscure the fact he got a bunch of rebounds against a really good frontline.
    7. Jeronne Maymon was the only player who came out of the locker room ready to go. He continues to show I vastly underestimated his willingness to do what the team needs from him.
    8. I must admit, I enjoyed Yemi Makanjuola getting physical with John Jenkins late in the game. Always leave them knowing you weren't scared.
    9. Some players are just perfect for certain NBA teams. If Jeffrey Taylor doesn't end up in San Antonio, it's a shame. He'd be a perfect replacement for Richard Jefferson.
    10. It was a bad night and you move forward. This group needs to focus on getting 3 of the next 4 and head into the game in Gainesville at .500. That would give them a glimmer of postseason hope coming down the stretch.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

it blows my mind that McBee still has one more year left... he seems like he has been here for 10 years... and not in the good way.

3. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Good report as usual. Did Pearl offer Kedren Johnson a scholarship? I know he visited him several times, but I wasn't sure if Tennessee offered or not.

4. germanicus

germanicus New Member

Maybe his replacement at Mo State could make room for a PG, too.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

We are witnessing the culmination of years of recruiting guards that can't dribble or shoot.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Turned it off at 38-16. Had other stuff I had to do.

Abysmal.

7. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I think this game can be expected from Stokes. He is still trying to learn the D1 game and is still very young. Memphis high school post play is officiated like flag football. Adjusting to the physcal play in the SEC will be an ongoing adjustment. Good thing is coming into next season, he should be on the short list of impact players for the conference.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm thinking about working on my dribbling skills and transferring back to UT. Could be the next Skylar McBee.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Nice stuff, Hat. McRae completely and totally sucks ass. And, you have been consistently right about the ball security issues with this team. And, it continually manifests itself on the road. Cam Tatum, a [uck fay]ing 5th year senior, somehow finds it impossible to make a post entry without tossing 75% of them out of bounds. That's simply pathetic.

10. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Kind of glad I had to work through this one. Thanks for the summary.

11. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Hat, do you see this team winning any road games this year? Possibly USCjr?

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Alabama and LSU both struggle enough on offense that winning those games wouldn't be a total shock, but South Carolina is the only one that wouldn't be an upset.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If an upset is beating a team that is favored to beat you, beating South Carolina will be an upset.

KidB's predicted point spread: South Carolina-2.5