The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 11, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No doubt. Still, did anybody expect them to struggle so much?

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Texas was ranked. Kentucky was for a lot of that year.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Kentucky had a pretty horrible year for them. They were 21-12 and 9-7 in the SEC. We also got trounced by around 20 by USCjr in the SEC tourney if I remember correctly.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We will have to agree to disagree. I consider winning in Rupp a great achievement and the hallmark of toughness. Kentucky had some bad teams in the 80s and the Vols still were never able to do it. And a lot of folks think Devoe's teams in the early 80s were the toughest in UT history.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

So did Iowa, North Carolina, Indiana (who won by 26), Vanderbilt, Alabama, and Florida (who won by 15).

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

My response was in response to cotton's initial statement based on the history of Tennessee. In my opinion, the 2009 and 2005 teams were some of the toughest in Tennessee history. The 1999, 1994, and 1991 teams were tough in their own ways. The early-80s, mid-70s and late-60s teams were also very tough, but I can't speak as specifically about those teams given my age.

If you want to talk about toughness in the abstract, I'm not sure any of Tennessee's teams would apply by that standard other than maybe the Dale Ellis teams.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Seems like this has been the case about 10 different games this year. His trouble finishing has been frustrating. I realize this has a lot to do with being an undersized post, but often times it seems like he's simply throwing it at the basket and waiting for a foul. All that said, it's hard to fault a guy too much who is 55% from the floor, has worked as hard as he has, and has clearly been the most consistent player on this team. He's been good but could be an excellent college player if he can learn to finish a little bit better around the basket.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

05 team was tough. They were not very physical.

I think you can be one without the other, but others appear to see otherwise.