The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 25, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. It would be easy to comment on any of a myriad of shortcomings the Vols had tonight. I'll pass. It's a road win, it clinches a winning regular season record, and they're 8-6 in the SEC. The good outweighs the bad by a considerable margin.
    2. That's as good a game as Cameron Tatum has played at Tennessee. His rebounding and defense were outstanding and he even made a shot in a road game. He has continued to show up and try to help the team, despite his shooting woes. That speaks well of his character.
    3. Trae Golden turned the game in UT's favor by taking the offensive initiative. When he started attacking, Tennessee grabbed control of the game and never really relinquished it.
    4. Conference realignment is the work of Satan. The fact that today is the last time we'll see Kansas and Missouri tear each other limb from limb for a conference regualr season title is proof of that.
    5. Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon did not dominate the game tonight. They did, however, do enough offensively in the second half to help Golden and Jordan McRae hold the Gamecocks at bay.
    6. Whoever takes over for Darrin Horn is inheriting a better roster than the record indicates. Bruce Ellington and Anthony Gill are quality SEC talents. With the right coach, they'll be vastly improved next year.
    7. Dwight Miller didn't follow up his great Wednesday night performance with big numbers. He did defend his position and compete on the boards. I'd say the ice under Kenny Hall continues to thin.
    8. Drexel went into Old Dominion and got a victory that means they are the outright Colonial champion. If they aren't a lock for the NCAA field regardless of what happens in the conference tournament, there's no justice in the selection process.
    9. I'm always amazed when I catch a game on television how awful some of the SEC broadcasting crews are, especially on Fox Sports. I was glad to hear Dave Neal speak well of "Counzo Miller" and happy that Mike Glenn mentioned Tennessee's ability to "dominate in the paint" roughly 1,764 times.
    10. This team has huge opportunities this week. As insane as it sounds, they could finish tied for 2nd in the league if they take care of business and get some help. From where they were when the calendar turned to 2012, that's just short of incredible.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Good read, as usual

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Darker orange: Stokes shoes or Maymon's jersey after he works up a sweat?

4. hatvol96

A school with UT's athletic budget doing business with adidas is like a millionaire shopping at Men's Wearhouse. They can't, with six weeks to do so, get Stokes a pair of shoes that match his teammates? Totally unacceptable.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Does seem a little ridiculous. Would rather he stick with the black shoes rather than coming out there with Clemson shoes.

6. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

+1

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Bottom line Hat - what does this team have to do for the remainder of the season to be confident of an 'AA selection, and what do you believe to be our chances at accomplishing it?

8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'd rather Drexel had come in and ran my Monarchs out of the Ted instead of us staying close all ballgame and losing by a missed 3rd free throw with .7 to go. That was heartbreaking.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't think we can be confident without winning the SEC tournament. Which means Kentucky losing the SEC tournament. Which isn't going to happen.

To be ourselves in the mix, we need four straight wins here: @LSU, vs Vandy, Friday SECT, Saturday SECT. That's a tall order, but possible. Probably requires 3 mild upsets at best.

Hat probably has a better feel for this, but I don't think we can put ourselves in the mix with anything less than that.

10. hatvol96

To be confident? Win both games next week, then reach the SEC tournament final. I think that's a tall order. I think they're in if they win the games next week and one in the SEC. Gary Parrish made a great point in his column this week. People love to act like they have some grand insight into who's in and who's out, but if you listen to them they'd have either 75 or 60 teams in the field if their proclamations were right. Before people start to make guarantees, sit down and do a mock field. It's very instructive. I've noticed the last couple of years that people seem unable to grasp how utterly mediocre the resumes at the bottom of the at large field are. For example, if you think UT has no chance, look at the data for UAB, VCU, and USC last year.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, think that Bama loss kind of took some of our AA momentum away.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How many teams do you think get in from the SEC?

13. hatvol96

I got to see the last minute on the dish. Quality game.

14. hatvol96

I just think the bottom of the field is really weak. Look at it this way, Lunardi has Northwestern and West Virginia in the field. What have they done? I just think you can throw any of 25 teams in the last 4 or 5 at large spots.

15. hatvol96

I think there are four locks. Alabama wrapped up a bid today. Mississippi State is doing all they can to play themselves out and LSU blew a golden opportunity today. Those two and Tennessee are the only other teams with a shot.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Do you think VCU can work their way in with a run to the CAA Finals? The CAA is as good as ever at the top IMO, but they've just beaten the crap out of each other.

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, I was just about to ask you whether you think the bottom is weaker than last year. RPIForecast has us at 72 if we win both next week and go 1-1 in the SECT, which is a tad below last year's USC team. I was just assuming the field is comparable, but I certainly haven't tried filling out a list of 68.

18. hatvol96

Sadly, I think the Colonial is going to get screwed. I wouldn't be at all shocked if the only team in is the tournament champ.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

That's my thoughts, but I figured I'd go for a slightly less biased view.

20. hatvol96

I think it's about the same. If Tennessee wins both games next week and one in the conference tournament, I feel strongly their resume will be better than UAB's was last year.