The Pembroke Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 9, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Tough way to end what was a magical run at getting in the discussion for an NCAA Tournament bid. UT simply didn't make the plays necessary for victory in the overtime session.
    2. Skylar McBee went down swinging. If UT had found a way to win, his game tying three would have been remembered as fondly as his knockout shot against Kansas.
    3. Tennessee doesn't have much margin for error. They certainly won't win on many nights when Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes combine to make a single field goal.
    4. Jeronne Maymon has had one of the great rebounding seasons in Tennessee history. He has consistently dominated the glass against bigger opponents.
    5. Given the stakes involved, it's ridiculous that college basketball doesn't adhere to the NBA rule and allow video review of out of bounds calls in the final minute. No team should have an opportunity to make the NCAA field taken away by a blatantly awful call.
    6. Ole Miss should be in the NCAA Tournament if they win tomorrow. They will have crafted a resume superior to that of many of the teams involved in the bottom of the bracket discussion.
    7. Andy Kennedy deserves an immense amount of credit for keeping his team together after they were blown out at home by Vanderbilt. Instead of throwing in the towel, they've toughed it out and put themselves into position for an excellent finish.
    8. Kara Lawson does an excellent job as an analyst. She doesn't try to dominate the broadcast and just gives the viewer her insight.
    9. On the other hand, it's hard to fathom a pair of analysts being more unmitigatedly awful than Joe Dean and Barry Booker. It's as if they are having a secret competition to see who can make the most patently ridiculous comment.
    10. Now, it's time to regroup and get ready for a home NIT game next week. This team and coaching staff have accomplished some really nice things this year. You don't want to see the season end on multiple down notes.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I said it once tonight. UT had a bunch of young, inexperienced players playing like young, inexperienced players.

3. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

Well, at least now I can just root for Vandy to lose without having to worry about our RPI.

I don't get why that call is still unreviewable when they already review so many other plays. Stupid.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Maymon is a warrior. Over the season he has put himself into contention for my all-time favorites list.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This team while hard to watch at times didnt give up on a season that was going the wrong way and that was reiterated tonight.

We need 2 or 3 more pieces to go with this foundation and we are in business.

For a tournament that really doesnt mean much and is hard to get up for, I hope these guys go out like they did tonight and how they ended the season. Would be a nice building block for next year.

6. UT2012

UT2012 New Member

Hat, do you think it was just an off night or is our zone offense as awful as it looks? I just didn't understand what exactly we were trying to accomplish.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Just found my silver lining. As bad as that sucked, I would have been way more pissed if I felt like we deserved a bid after a couple more wins and the asshead committee gave it to Northwestern or something. At least there's that.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This team sucked me in at the end of the season. I've just come to expect that we make the tournament. Tonight's was a hard game to watch. Hopefully this is a season we can build on, and turn into a successful season next year.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It was a fun ride. I thought after the McBee shot we had 'em.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

In all honesty it is hard to stomach the fact that losses to Austin P, Oakland and CoC are keeping us out of tourney discussion. That being said...the team should be applauded for their stretch run. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

11. hatvol96

The offense in general isn't very good due to the ballhandling and passing issues we've discussed ad nauseum here. The zone offense looks even worse when they can't make outside shots consistently.

12. hatvol96

After NC State won yesterday, I started getting a nagging feeling that UT might well have to win the SEC to get in the field.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Do you think it's fair to expect Tennessee to be an NCAA team next year, or did the team just overachieve this year?

14. hatvol96

I'll be very disappointed if UT isn't in the NCAA Tournament next season.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Stokes looked very timid all night. Not sure why.

I can't fault McRae's effort, but he couldn't put the ball in the ocean last night. At the same time, other than one or two, he was taking shots he's been hitting all year. It just wasn't his night.

Defensively, I never understood shy we never adjusted to the isolation and pick and rolls out of the 1-4 set. That was the only way the could score on offense and they killed us the entire second half with it.

And as far as attacking a 2-3 zone, I give up. We are as cursed with this as we are with kickers in football. I surrender. It is what it is.

All in all, I think the team just folded. It was the first game all year they faced pressure and I don't care what they say, that team knew very well that they were playing a play-in game last night and it was in their heads.

16. hatvol96

Unless they were going to go zone, there is no real adjustment to made against the isolations. Stokes and Maymon just flat can't guard Terrance Henry.

17. VB

VB Member

That's all they did all night. 1v1 every possession and we just couldn't guard them.

18. hatvol96

Ole Miss didn't crack 60 in regulation. Defense wasn't the problem.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Hat, are there any point guards in the jucos that Cuonzo is pursuing? And other signees that we could see happen this year?

20. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I doubt I'm capable of objectivity - just throwing that out there - but it seemed to me that Ole Miss's forwards/posts fouled or traveled on about half of their drives to the hoop. Maybe more. Tough to guard.