"The Pressing Need for Everyone to Quiet their Egos"

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, May 28, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...r-everyone-to-quiet-their-egos/?sf190290920=1

Thoughts? This article could have been a collaboration between 53 and Norris.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Being biased in this, I do believe that the quieting of the ego and the mind is key to a happy life.

And the world would be a much better place if more people did learn to meditate, quiet their minds, but this isn't true of just today, but has been true throughout history. Even in the Buddha's day, this was his big message, and not everyone could or would hear it. Same with the life of Christ and a myriad of other gurus.

I also feel that, particularly in America, that you are seen as a [ussy pay] if you talk about compassion and love and a quiet ego, especially as a male.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I suppose that’s one way to do it. I’d think just not taking every political decision as some sort of personal statement and avoiding holding up politicians as idols would do it.

4. NorrisAlan

It is more than about politics. That is just one facet of s multifaceted gem. Business. School. Prisons. Diplomacy with other nations. Personal relationships. How we deal with death. Healthcare.

But again, my worldview is biased towards this belief.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The problem most of the time is with social media and other easy access of communication, the extreme sides now get heard more frequently. There’s still a lot of damn good people out there that understand that just being a good dude is a virtuous trait.

We just don’t hear much from them.

chavisut likes this.
  6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s just the modern version of get off my grass.

I think we’re fighting some ghost that aren’t really there.

We’ve done more in the last hundred years to improve the average persons life that it’s truly almost unimaginable.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree with this almost whole heartedly. The longer I went into the piece, the more I kept thinking that this is a lot of words that could be summed up by following what Jesus taught with regard to interaction with those around you. I'm not trying to proselytize here. I think we can all agree that more people loving their neighbor as they do themselves would be a good thing on a micro and macro level.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sometime in the last 7 years, I was told on this forum that racism basically doesn't exist anymore. I don't think anyone would claim that now. Ghosts aren't real, so these things aren't ghosts.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

racism exists. Only Roseanne's type counts though.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Racism will always exist.

The ghost comment is about is directed at people always thinking the world is getting worse and that’s just not the case.

By almost every metric we’re living in the best time in human history.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you’re referring to me, it was that it is rare amongst people that matter.

VolDad likes this.
  12. chef65

chef65 Contributor

That's true but the spectres of nuclear war and global warming loom large. We'll either find solutions through diplomacy and technology or perish as a global, organized species. I encourage people to abstain from procreation as the chance of everything going to hell by 2050-2100 is too great to ignore. But hey, at least I got to enjoy some sh!t the vast majority of humans never got to experience.

13. NorrisAlan

There are issues looming ahead that could bring this all down very quickly.

I believe we will face these issues and fix them, but it will be a big wake up call.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m going to pick technology and man overcoming.

It’s not that I got to enjoy some shit that others didn’t get to enjoy, but that we’ve lifted billions of people out of abject poverty.

chef65 likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sometimes folks just see what they want to see. That's part of the problem.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I've been told it by many people many times.