The Problem with Youth Football

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Aug 19, 2018.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Haven't managed to wrestle away power from the locals yet?

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They dont want power. But id be fine with it. They played college and pro and know what it takes.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Okay. My knowledge of former pros in youth sports is fairly limited, but usually one goes hand in hand with the other no matter how true either are.

4. Ssmiff

They have the best interest of their own kids and not seeking the limelight

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

To play in D1 and in the pros, it takes picking the right parents and winning the genetic lottery.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

But what if you really want it? 5'8, 140, and all heart?

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Why don't any of those old Vols / Pros get off their asses and coach, just like other men once did, and thus allowed them to be Vols / Pros, to begin with?

8. Tenacious D

You become an Auburn fan.

warhammer likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Some dont see the need for tackle ball until 7th or 8th. Many do coach middle and HS ball here. I'm guessing 20+ former titans and vols are on staffs or training them on the side to work on things that practice time doesnt allow.

10. Tenacious D

Fair.

As a random dude who was the Commish of a flag league for five years, and who had aspirations of giving kids a way to play flag until they were 12 or so...but who now is involved with tackle...I can’t more strongly agree with VT53 that flag isn’t football.

And at these young ages, the difference between those kids who played tackle at 7 vs those who came later, is substantial, and the more years that they delay that experience, the difference grows exponentially larger and more difficult to mitigate and overcome.

11. Ssmiff

Fair as well. There is an adjustment to the physical aspect absolutely. I think youd be surprised at how many really good players didnt start playing until they were a teenager.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In two years of being around 7 and 8s I've seen exactly one kid who blew me away, as in, if he develops he'll be a Power 5 player no doubt.

These kids are out there because they enjoy playing football. If I were a former NFL player who knew my son won the genetic lottery and had a chance to play in the pros, maybe I hold him out to cut down on wear and tear. As it is, my son just loves football and has exactly 10 years that he'll be able to play, and if he wants to and it's safe, then I'm going to let him.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Ssmiff likes this.
  13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That plays a part, but it also helps to have a healthy chip on your shoulder. There are a lot of well coached kids with physical stature and ability who peak in high school.

14. Ssmiff