The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The Florida game is similar to the UK one in that a win would be great while a loss wouldn't be particularly damaging.

Simply can't lose at home to a team like Ole Miss

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Yep. So i fully expect this team to play great and lose a close one Saturday. Then come back and completely lay an egg at home against Ole Miss.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That's his most serious flaw that makes him obviously not NBA material to me. He's quick enough and shoots and handles well enough, but he can't defend a trash can.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He doesn't handle well and can go full turnover machine. Last night was the first time in ages that he impacted the outcome.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I feel like there are at least a handful guys on the end of benches who McRae could theoretically equal/outproduce, but there is little incentive for teams to focus on improving that margin and little to recommend McRae besides (or any D-League star/top US college grad Euros in general).

It would probably be destined to fail, but I think it would be interesting to cut NBA rosters to 10 (or maybe 12 max) and then add those guys into an NBA2 with somewhat competitive salary to at least B-tier Europe/Rest of World. Maybe set it up for offseason and give the league champions a 1/2 sandwich pick for the parent team (to stash away another Euro, naturally).

Or just have formal, structured reserves games. That would probably be easier. Just seems like those guys at the end of the bench (sans Andrew Bynum) could use some extra opportunities.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He doesn't handle the ball remotely well enough to play guard in the NBA.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He wouldn't be asked to be a breakdown guy, and you're right that he couldn't possibly do that. He's asked to do that for some reason under Martin.

8. hatvol96

He's not a good enough shooter to be a catch and shoot guy. So, exactly what the hell would he do offensively in the NBA?

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Be a mid-range guy that works off screens. You surely don't think the only offensive options for a wing are simply being a breakdown player or being a guy that parks it in the corner.

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

His consistency on the long ball can improve. He's deadly when he's on. Tobias was pretty awful from what I remember from behind the arc when he was here. And strength can be developed so I don't think that's an absolute deal breaker.

11. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's a rail. I don't think he can get much stronger. His length and athleticism are his greatest assets. Comparing him to Tobias is unfair. Harris is 6'9" 230, he has a good handle and he's a good passer for his size. He's also very fundamentally sound, which makes up for him not being an elite athlete. He can also get 10+ boards on any given night.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Well I don't mean to compare their games or styles - just was mentioning the part about having to do one thing exceptionally well to make an NBA roster.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't disagree with this. He doesn't handle well enough to be a guy that just breaks down a defender off the bounce. He's got a really quick release, and he's fast. He's been good coming off screens this year. He's also not bad playing off ball screens. But, he's not a one on one break down guy, and when he tries to be, you're right that he turns the ball over just as much as he scores.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

NBA squads aren't going to spend time setting screens for a guy off the bench. I hope he's a beast, but I don't like his setup for the NBA game.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Eh, most NBA teams set screens on every single possession for someone, and setting screens and running an actual offense is more paramount when bench guys are in. I don't like his set-up either, but the only point I'm making is that his lack of defense is a much more significant barrier for him than his offense.

16. hatvol96

Being a midrange guy requires being a quality shooter. He's not.

17. hatvol96

So, he's suddenly going to rectify two deficiencies he's done next to nothing about in four years in college. Yeah, that concept will sell GMs.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Still think his lack of defense is his biggest weakness. I'm certainly not arguing he's going to be some sort of offensive force in the NBA, but his offense is significantly better than his defense.

19. hatvol96

They don't set screens for guys 10-12 on the roster because those guys never play. I can just see NBA coaches lining up to put a guy with McRae's attitude on the end of their bench.

20. netnvol

netnvol Member

I'm certain it is a nice place and I'm not disparaging the city at all. Just mean you aren't going to make it at the top level if you can't contribute whatever it is you do on a consistent basis. I don't believe right now that McRae has that consistency.

I think Tobias can stick in the league b/c he is one of those guys who can do the little things his team needs.