The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. That one had all the intensity of a Rocky Top League scrimmage. Neither coach can be happy with the level of indifference on the floor tonight.
    2. Trae Golden was the dominant player on the floor. Of course, a good portion of that was due to Keegan Bell's defensive ineptitude.
    3. Skylar McBee is zoned into his role right now. He was a big part of tonight's win.
    4. UT has to get something more out if its post players. They were invisible offensively.
    5. Jeronne Maymon's technical was totally unacceptable. That kind of immaturity will get you beat against good competition.
    6. If that was really the Spirit Squad's routine for nationals, there's no need to make room in the trophy case. It looked like the football team trying to execute substitutions.
    7. The halfcourt offense was way too stagnant. There's no excuse for hoisting 40 3s against a team as suspect defensively as Chattanooga.
    8. John Shulman has run his course. Chattanooga should be much better than they are. Time for a change.
    9. Jordan McRae has got to start making shots. UT is too limited offensively to withstand his continued slump.
    10. Vol fans need to relish the view from above .500. It may be quite some time before they are there again. It's hard to envision this team doing much damage in conference play right now.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

RE: 9.

I still cringe every time he puts up a shot. The substance has been slightly better than the form (and that's not saying much), but I like him way better when he tries to get to the basket.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hat, what did Maymon get the technical for? All I saw on tv was him giving the ball to the defender on the ground. Did I miss something?

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think that was the call. Maymon kind of dropped it on the guy. I'm not sure it should have been a technical, but he wasn't doing it just to be helpful either.

UTC's gimmick defense double-teaming the post resulted in about half of those threes, I'd say. Great strategy taking our biggest weapon Kenny Hall away... oh wait. Maymon played in moderate foul trouble and missed 2 or 3 in close, though he still got 10 rebounds. If he (or Hall, but realistically...) had finished better, the post offense would have been decent for how UTC was defending us.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

UTC was doubling the post and giving us wide open threes. We took them, and probably didn't make as many as we should. In the postgame, Cuonzo said that probably 90% of those shots were good shots.

And that Memphis is probably the 7th toughest game for the rest of this month says something about what our likely record will be come Feb 1. And it ain't pretty

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This Memphis State is kinda big. Motley Crue says that a W would kickstart our heart.

7. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

8. John Shulman has run his course. Chattanooga should be much better than they are. Time for a change.

Many here share this opinion. Time for Hart Jr. to pull the plug. UC hoops are mired in indifference.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Dropping a ball like that on a defensive player on the ground is an automatic tech. Any action during a dead ball like that is going to be called whether its the first minute or the last minute of the game. Thats just stupid.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It seemed like so much of nothing. It was much more of a handing and less of a dropping. But I agree that it's stupid and probably a member of a class of actions that's an automatic tech.