The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 5, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Victory was better than I expected. That said, I think UT would have been better served to skip the concession revenue and play another scrimmage against quality opposition.
    2. Quinton Chievous has versatility in his offensive game that Coach Martin will find useful. I just can't see him holding up defensively at the 4 against good competition.
    3. D'Montre Edwards is another solid addition. He's good enough athletically to be a defensive stopper.
    4. Trae Golden's conditioning is finally where it needs to be. Jarnell Stokes has also obviously benefitted from a change in strength and conditioning coaches.
    5. Josh Richardson is slowly developing into an offensive threat. He's already a plus defender.
    6. I'll reserve comment on halftime. Commenting on a high school dance team might get me a seat with Chris Hansen.
    7. Coach Martin went with the Gregg Popovich look tonight. No reason to waste a good tie on an exhibition.
    8. The ballhandling is just never going to be great. It's better, but too many guys are simply average or below with the ball for it to be better than merely competent.
    9. Armani Moore looks like a player. He's still learning the point, but his athleticism will be a defensive plus.
    10. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I didn't like how Jeronne Maymon was moving on his crutches at all. I'd be stunned to see him on the floor anytime soon.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

10 scares me. And it bums me out to be honest.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Totally agree on Chievous. Moore's ball-handling was troublesome. I liked Edwards too.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Absolutely agree on Chievous. Love his offensive skill set, but he got posted up by Victory. Agree on Edwards. I'm not sure I'd call Richardson a threat yet, but he's not a liability anymore, and that's something. Moore is a fast little bugger, but he has to be more careful with the ball or he's going to be a turnover machine.

Saw somebody on twitter saying 3-4 weeks for Maymon, but I'm not sure where they got it.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I've seen infection for Maymon rather than anything structural. Hearsay. TIFWIW.

6. cbsharp42

cbsharp42 New Member

Victory over Victory.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Coach Martin gave that time frame in his post game interview. Hope that turns out to be accurate.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

If you are correct then it's likely Staph which could be a huge problem. See Ryan Howard.

9. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

That big guy for Victory was 26 years old.....

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not sure if that would necessarily be better.

11. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

So it appears Vandy pulled away late to beat a less than stellar D2 program by 21......

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Yeah, not necessarily. Wasn't really presented with alarmist tone though. While we're (I'm) ripping off other sites, apparently Rob Lewis said he could be available for Puerto Rico.

13. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Chievous looked great against inferior comp. We'll see how his game fares versus the teams in Puerto Rico.

14. hatvol96

I'll have to see that to believe it.

15. gcbvol

Do you think the 3-4 week window sounds like a stretch as well?

16. hatvol96

Sure looked like it to me. Maybe he's just trying to be as light and deliberate in his movements as possible, but he sure looked like he was laboring to me.

17. gcbvol

Thanks for your take, Hat. I just hope he'll be back at full speed this year; his (effective) presence should take this team to another level.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Does Stokes really look like he's up to 270? That would make him just a monster in the post

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's ten times worse than a structural problem imo.

20. CD12

CD12 Member

Great to be reading the 103 report again! I don't have a "basketball mind" so my participation in the discussion will probably be me asking more questions than offering anything of substance but I have always enjoyed this thread.