The Verizon Center Press Room Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 30, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good enough to put a gaudy regular season record and a high playoff seed, not good enough to win more than one round.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

subtle I'm about to watch hoops with NBA scout friends post.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I love number 1.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I did see on Twitter last night that Chad Newman told BBallTimeinTN that Maymon would be back by the middle of the month. We win that game last night with him in the line-up.

5. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

People are forgetting what a loss Maymon is on the offensive end.

6. hatvol96

If that's accurate, Tennessee will contend for the SEC title.

7. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

UVA runs a little 1-2-2 press, one trap and get out. Basically they want to slow you down in the frontcourt so you don't get get into your offense until 15-20 seconds are left on the shot clock. They play a pack-line defense and work the ball on the offensive end. They grind games out. Would be stunned if they ever play zone.
    I've been up to UVa to watch them practice and Bennett is top notch.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I was absolutely impressed with Georgetown's defense last night. I thought they dominated the first half and we were fortunate they blew so many bunnies. Our ft shooting was atrocious but they were clearly executing better and nothing came easy for us. We came out attacking a little better in the 2nd, but our possessions at the end of the game were pathetic.

9. CardinalVol

Excuse me, sometime in Decemeber. Here is the exact tweet -

10. hatvol96

I predicted/guessed the Memphis game for his return yesterday.

11. CardinalVol

I'm going to go with Western Carolina so he can have a three game rehab stint to get ready for conference play.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Thanks for great analysis as always, Hat. A healthy Maymon really is a game changer. If this team continues playing this kind of defense, his presence should cure a lot of the offensive ills. Ball handling, as you have consistently pointed out, will likely continue to be the major weakness.

13. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Neither team scored in the last 4:10. Did I hear that correctly?

14. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I agree. Absolutely clueless. A motion offense has more than 2 guys moving at one time. That was a simplistic HS offense. You go to the line with the passing big man. He feeds quickly and goes out to set a screen/pick for the wing. It did not happen - time after time.

Bad offense, bad FT shooting, dumb TO's at the wrong time. Hat was right pre-game saying that more transition would help us. Our guys scored their best off transition.

It seems we have not had any consistent jump shooting in years. Both teams sucked at it yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  15. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

guys I flashed back to the O'Neill days watching that last night

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You made it up for the game? Word. I was there as well. I'll simply add that it was the ugliest game I've ever seen. And by a sizable margin.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Reminded me of I think the 99 UT-UK in Lexington. Low-scoring affair, physical and ugly as all get out. But a good ugly... we won.

18. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I love watching slugfests like that.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have been a slugfest if anybody had the ability to make a jumpshot.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

So, I don't follow basketball but I did watch part of this game. Obviously defensively we played great but gracious...36 pts? Do the Hoyas have that good a defense or is this a cause for concern?