They're still around...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by warhammer, Nov 18, 2012.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Agree. Fulmer was an above average recruiter, IMO but UK is hard to sell. Except for Cobb ... no idea how the UT recruiting train let that gem slip to UK.

2. NashVol

NashVol New Member

UK promised him he could play QB, which there was no way in heck UT was gonna allow him to do

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If Phil goes to KY, does Randy keep his job? Pat?

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If we had offered him early, he would have come to UT. Instead, he was a fallback recruit that wasn't offered until very close to signing day, and he had committed to UK. I don't know him personally, but from what I have heard from every person who does, I don't know if it would have mattered at all actually whether we would have given hi ma shot at QB or not. He wasn't going to go back on his word to UK. We just totally wiffed on him.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

If he ends up there, I believe Sanders stays. IMO, CPF didn't want to get rid of Sanders, but after the 5-6 season of 2005 and how the offense looked someone had to be sacrificed. Washington just got there but obviously has a relationship with Fulmer after 11 seasons at UT ... but retaining him would be keeping a guy you are familiar with at a school where coaches aren't exactly beating down the doors.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's kind of how I feel about it. At any other school in the SEC, I think this would be a problem for him, but Kentucky has other concerns.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exactly why Phil in no way needs to come back. It was obvious to everyone Sanders needed to be gone long before 2005, but he had to let the situation completely meltdown before he would do anything about it. Why? He was comfortable with the level of success from 2002-2004. Now, we weren't horrible during that stretch, but it was obvious we weren't good enough to win the SEC.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well, the smart money would be on Phil returning without Sanders or at least without Sanders as OC. I doubt he would ever come in and be able to make this hire. It doesn't matter anyway. He's so far away from coming back to Tennessee, this doesn't even merit speculation.

9. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would make for a great anything.

10. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I agree there is no way he comes back to UT ... no way in hell that happens. I believe, for whatever reason, Bill King has an affinity for UK and was pushing for his hire there to maybe get them back to a respectable 6-6 caliber program.

Like I said, Fulmer's biggest asset was his ability to recruit and not so much his coaching. Many times UT just consistently had the biggest, strongest, most talented men on the field and that is why we won ... i.e., Graham, Manning, Kent, Stallworth, Henderson, Little, Ellis, and on it goes. Fulmer cannot win with lesser talent as some of these other coaches do. His offensive style of football doesn't allow it ... hence the moniker "O Line University"

11. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Some of our fans have serious inferiority complex issues.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't hate.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It would make for a great disappointment.

14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Fulmerites + Gangdum Style= Shiny Doughnut!

15. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Guys I dont think it was all Sanders, I think Phil had his hand in Sanders demise...Phil wanted to control everything no trust with out Cut! Sanders has done a pretty good job with the QB's up at KY.........

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Yeah ... he beat Dooley with a f***ing wide receiver

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

In reference to Cobb, I am not sure Tennessee would have used him effectively even if we had got him. At UK he was the feature of the offense, he developed well, and got paid in the pros. I can't help but think of guys like Tinsley that we never really integrated into the offense fully. In my opinion, Tinsley was a similar player, and aside from a few gadget plays and some memorable game-changing moments, he didn't get near enough touches.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

None of it matters at this point anyway. Sanders was not good for the offense regardless of how it went down. KY's QB play since Woodson left has been laughable.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree on both Tinsley and Cobb. I would go so far as to say that CP would have been treated similarly back in those days.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Loved Tinsley. It's a crime that the coaching staff didn't get him more touches.