Things to improve upon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 30, 2015.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

With the regular season wrapped up, what are some things you would like to see improved upon? I've got a few off the top of my head in no particular order:

- Passing game

The Vols leading WR this year (J.Malone) had a pedestrian 388 yds (2 TD's). V.Pearson had 377 yds (3 TD's) and J.Smith had 307 (2 TD's). They lacked that "go to" WR this year.

- Alvin Kamara

I know Hurd is the workhorse and is going to get his touches but they have to incorporate Kamara more. Dude is too dynamic.

- Blitzing

I'd like to see the defense be more aggressive and bring more pressure.

- Neyland Stadium's Grass

For the love of all that is holy, get someone in there that can get the field squared away.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

We aren't lacking "go-to" receivers. Our coaches just don't understand how to effectively go to them.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree with you. I think M.North is the guy and that P.Williams will be that guy. I like Malone but for some reason I just don't see him filling that role.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So, offensively, bring in a new OC and a proven QB coach?

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

fixed

6. CardinalVol

Or that.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

If that's what it takes to get someone to stretch the field instead of throwing 0-5 yd passes 98% of the time. It's quite amazing how well the offense did when you consider the overwhelming majority of plays they run are in the 0-5 yd range.

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I don't mind using bubble screens and throws to the flat to get our athletes out in space. It just kills me when Dobbs struggles with the throw. That and we use them so much they get blown up for negative yardage.

9. CardinalVol

One of the things I notied Saturday were we ran a lot more slants than in previous weeks.

Dobbs needs work, I'm not denying that, but we also did not play to his strengths in the pasing game. For whatever reason, the guy accurate enough over the middle of the field. Got to think that would freeze the backers if that was a legitimate threat instead of cheating to the run.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't mind those plays either. What I do mind is the frequency in which they're called.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and predictability. First down is run opposite running back. If we gained anything, another run. If not, WR screen. Hell, we've started running them naked.

I don't even know who makes these plays up.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The naked bubblescreens kill me. KILL me.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I personally loved Saturday when we threw to a single WR on an island with a DB tackling him for loss. It's like the Clawfense all over again.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe we could proofread our PAT chart in the offseason. Or pay any student on campus five bucks to have his phone line open and available during the games so Jones can call and ask for advice. Ayres Hall used to run a service to help get kids struggling in math classes get fixed up with a student tutor to give them a hand. Maybe they can get Butch connected to someone that's watched a football game or two.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Fix the field, it's truly embarrassing.

I agree with getting Kamara more touches, he deserves some of Hurd's carries.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This is gold.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would have Dobbs flanked by Kamara and Hurd nearly every play and just run a triple option out of the shotgun. Throw 15 or so play action passes off of it a game.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'd be tough to stop. No reason why a guy averaging almost 7 yards a carry only gets 8 a game. He needs 15 touches.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Throw some simple routes to Kamara over the middle coming out of the backfield. Easy money.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Football coaches tend to make things too hard. Wolf is an NFL te. He's your guy over the middle. North, Malone, Williams and Jennings can make plenty of plays over the top, Smith is your slot and Pearson is your gadget guy.

It wouldn't be pretty but it would consistently move the ball.