Third Saturday in October

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Oct 8, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I wonder how long it will be before something like this escalates into something like the Malice at the Palace and it's a full on brawl between the fans and opposing team. All it will take is a scenario like this Burton thing, a few drunk guys responding to him putting his hands on the girl, and it would have the potential to be complete chaos.

Memtownvol likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, if someone had noticed and confronted him, it could have gotten ugly fast. Which I guess is why they don't want field storming.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The last sentence of my post, as well as the fact that I posted it without quoting any other post, should have made it clear to you that I was not talking about her situation alone, but the entire issue of how fans interact with athletes, more generally. I don't know why you are shifting back to this one specific situation with the girl.

Why are you asking me? I don't make the rules. I think the law would say you don't get to put hands on anyone regardless of what they say. But would I blame a black athlete for striking a fan who calls him the N word? Probably not. But where is the line drawn? I don't know.

It's just funny to me that when it's our team, people just assume the dude is hitting a girl because he's mad about a loss. Even if she didn't say anything to him at all, are we just assuming that none of the other people who bumped into him or approached him did? I'm not justifying what he did. It's still not okay. But I've seen enough shitty fans interacting with players to not be naïve enough to think that no one said a word to him as he left the field.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

yeah, it isn't something I want to see on a regular basis. What is this, the third time we have done it in 40 years? That is enough for me.

Indy likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I sincerely don't know what your position is on this incident. I no longer care.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure what you're missing here.

You said "I haven't seen anyone asking for more than a suspension." I assume you're including yourself in that statement.

You also called what he did an assault. I disagreed with the use of that term.

So I asked, if you think what he did was assault, why are you only calling for a suspension, and not some sort of charge against him? You brought up misdemeanor assault, but you aren't asking that he be charged with it. Why? If you think what he did was misdemeanor assault, why are you only asking for a suspension, and not that he be charged with misdemeanor assault?

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're really good at playing dumb when it's useful to you in a discussion. My position has been made abundantly clear multiple times in this thread. Here, refresh your memory:

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Good journalism takes time. Have patience, and you may get what you want.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with all of this.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Absolutely.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

First time I've ever used the ignore button. Feels damn good.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

A better comparison would be Jennings. He was suspended by Sankey for making a football play. Burton is getting the royal treatment for being a woman beating piece of shit human being.

Memtownvol, zehr27 and SetVol13 like this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's totally possible that in the chaos, no one saw it happen and thus no one confronted him. Or, crazy idea here:

People on the field DID see it happen live and didn't think it was that big of a deal, which is why nobody really reacted to it or confronted him. You bet your ass if he had reared back and clocked her in the eye, people would have stepped in.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You strike me as the type of person who posts pictures of his dinner on Facebook.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It would be interesting if this comes back to bite Saban at some point later on down the road. The support of his decision from much of the media suggests it won't, but this feels like the type of situation that comes back up later on.

16. InVolNerable

Especially because it wasn't an isolated incident. There have been videos of him smacking, striking, hitting - or whatever other word that Indy's remedially smooth brain can conjure up to describe the act - at least two other fans on the field. He was walking around trying to punch fans.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1) We are discussing him and her situation

2) I have been watching college football for over 50 years. I have seen many fields stormed. I have never seen a fan hit by a player. How many times have you seen it? Any other situation is irrelevant to this discussion (i.e., I saw a crazy fan/player fight in Soccer)

3) I have heard nobody credible claim that she called him the N word. Just some speculation from Bama sheep.

4) I suspect that he saw a a young lady and an opportunity to hit her so he took it. That is what POS do.

5) What anybody else did has nothing to do with her and his striking of her.

6) It sure sounds like you are.

18. InVolNerable

Just like he tried to justify the Arbery murder.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Re: #2 This one wins...

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That was brutal. I noticed his coach tried to defend it.