This is hell

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Jan 7, 2013.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The last 5 years have been a combination of arguably the worst stretch in Tennessee history with the best stretch in Alabama history.

The sickening part is I'm not sure when it's going to get better.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Throw in UK basketball, and it's even better

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We have the exact programs which we are willing to require, just as Bama and KY do, respectively.

That's not going to change until they decide to become satisfied with mediocrity, or we refuse to continue to support and embrace it - and not one moment before.

4. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

3mil/yr and a coach who has won four high school championships places Tennessee in our rightful place. Bottom half of the power conference.

5. Tenacious D

"Bottom 1/2" may be a bit overly optimistic, at least with all that we now know.

6. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I'm still pissed. Bama has a top tier coach and we get stuck with a Disney World Mickey Mouse flag football coach.

I hate Bama, I despise Hart and Cheek and Butch Jones better be the second coming of Saban or so help me God, I'm burning a mattress.

7. Tenacious D

Before we get too far along, I should (again) restate that I do not hate or even dislike Butch Jones, nor do I blame him for anything prior to his arrival. In fact, it is my most sincere and earnest hope and strongest desire that he meets with nothing but unparalleled and consistent success throughout his tenure here.

I don't know if he is "the guy" or not, but I hope to hell he is.

But...as of this moment, he looks to be one of the bottom 2-3 coaches in what is arguably the golden era of the greatest college football league of all-time. So, those two facts seem to give room for some serious doubt as to what he is likely to accomplish, IMO.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I was becoming numb to the Jones hire. Now, I'm pissed again.

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

His record to date states he is not "the guy". His actions to date indicate he is not "the guy".

He has already lied to us by stating he is going to assemble the best staff in the nation and then whiffing on that promise, not sure what there is to like about him thus far. He's got a long way to go to win me over.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're looking for a coach again in 3 years.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  10. MWR

MWR Contributor

I will be surprised is Butch Jones is able to compete in the SEC.

When compared to the status of other teams in the SEC, and their coaches, UT is starting to look like a high school program.

Seems like the Vols are in a power dive to obscurity.

11. MWR

MWR Contributor

Upon further review, suppose Hart was telling the truth about the Vols coaching search and Gruden was never a candidate?

In that case, Jones is the best UT could do, (or he's who the got). That could be considered to be discouraging.

12. Tenacious D

Barring an absolute catastrophe (read: three consecutive seasons of less than 5 wins in each), unprecedented success of unimaginable magnitude and he leaves to go elsewhere, or natural death or long-term physical and/or mental incapacitation....he's the coach for the next five years, bare minimum.

It is what it is.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Remember the Kentucky streak? Surely we'll beat Bama at least once or twice in the next twenty years, though, right?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree

15. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Thanks, off to drink more.

It was a catastrophe that he was hired.

Any word on a Hart or Cheek ouster?

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I hate bammer.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Jones will probably be around a while, even if he can't get the job done. Tennessee is so far back from it's rivals that it's pretty much impossible to expect him to compete for a few years anyways. Furthermore, pretty much anything he does will look like improvement. I'm just afraid we'll be a complete afterthought the next time we're looking for a coach.

18. dknash

dknash Chieftain

And then there's the huge buyout.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm more concerned about lowered expectations than the buyout. I'm afraid of a scenario where we go 10-2 one year and then Jones is allowed to keep his job for a bunch of 8-4 seasons while never actually winning anything.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're about as lucky as wearing sandals while standing next to Micheal J. Fox at a urinal.

InVolNerable likes this.