This Team Continues To Amaze.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Jan 21, 2015.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I keep looking at the final statistics after games and wonder how they win. The collective will of this group is rather impressive.

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Or conversely how do you shoot so well and the other team so poorly and almost lose (or at least go to OT)? Almost had the blueprint.

Only 40 FGA tonight to I think 62 for SC. JRich and Punter missed two FGs combined. Just couldn't take enough shots to make it comfortable.

I would usually say that refs letting a lot go would favor us, and since JRich picked up four fouls anyways I guess it did, but it seemed that we never adjusted to the physicality that was allowed from a ballhandling standpoint. Though I guess that's one of the rougher games that JRich has been primary ballhandler in after our non-conference foulfests, so hopefully it's a quick learning curve.

Somehow it still felt like we played (not just shot) pretty well. I guess our trouble areas seemed more like inexperience than carelessness. Always nice to learn some lessons and still come out with the win.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I tried to ignore this season, and team, and just can't.

It's just too damn refreshing - satisfying, even - to be able to watch a Tennessee team that plays up to and beyond its abilities, however undoubtedly limited it clearly is, to miss out on it.

And I'm not going to say anything beyond this (because I don't want to waste this point by inciting rants against other coaches), but damn, it is an oddly fun feeling to actually be confident in a coach, because he is PROVING to be more of an advantage, than a liability. It allows me to believe that we aren't in a deficit from the moment we step off of the bus, because we have a coach who has the ability to get the most from his players, and will do whatever it takes to put them in a position to win.

I know that this team is woefully short on a lot of things. I know that they are what they are. But I'm enjoying this season, and these players, more than any Tennessee team in recent memory, in any sport.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I loved Tyndall's quote on last night.

"Sometimes when you are young and dumb, you get off the bus and think you can win."

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Only thing that drove me crazy was lack is effort on the defensive glass. Great win at their place.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Also, any coach getting this much out of Derek Reese on a nightly basis is a good one

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Kevin Punter "threw up a running runner" early in the first half according to Bob. That's a nice weapon to have in the arsenal.

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

That is good. Butch should take notes. That's how its done.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, but master the standing runner and he'll be unstoppable.

10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

This team is both fun and frustrating to watch at time. I hope it stays the way it is and stays mostly fun to watch.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

All the above ^^^^^ and they're learning to how to finish, how to win.

Donnie T silencing the critics

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.
    That starts at the top.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Funny thought:

Out of 100 Tennessee fans, how many:

1. Will read this quote from Tyndall, and love it.
    2. Will read Butch's quotes about youth of our team, and excuse it.
    3. Will realize that they are saying two completely opposite things?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

To be fair, Tyndall is in a position to be saying it that way, after wins, but winning grants that, I suppose.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

He puts his team in positions to succeed, no doubt about it.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And when he's lost he's took the onus and not made an excuse of the youth. He got the Coaching 101 brick. Lyle didn't.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm no champion for Butch, but it IS apples and oranges, a bit. I do appreciate Tyndall's lack of bullshit artistry.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

I'd at least say Butch got thru 101. He recruits like a mofo and they play hard for him. He might not have made an A, and he probably hasn't passed 102.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not really. Losing winnable games needs excuses.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a lack of effort, it is a lack of size.