This win means little in the grand scheme

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Oct 10, 2015.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

We beat the best team Spurrier had at USCe in 2013, and it took until today to beat another ranked team.

With that being said, I'm glad we won, but it took everything we had to do it. Bama will boat race us at home.

2. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Pretty much.

3. Voltic89

Voltic89 New Member

I maintain he made the wrong decision in not going for it on the final possession because we had a better chance of gaining one yard than stopping them. A perfect punt cannot be counted on and they would have most likely pushed it to OT and won under normal circumstances.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nope. Ya wrong.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Disagree.

You punt it there when you're up 7 late in the 4th against a suspect QB. No doubt about it.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The reason we won is because they had to go to the length of the field.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's a lot harder to close a game on defense.

8. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Agreed. What peeves me is the fact we stopped bringing pressure. The game is over sooner if we rush more than 3.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If on the other side of the 50, maybe go for it. That time with that few yards, punt it.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. Pissed me off when once they were in range of the endzone, we went back to rushing 3.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think if you establish yourself as a *****, come out like you're going to try to draw them offsides, and then just go on the first count you stand a good chance of getting it. Kind of the long con.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Is Butch gonna whip out his back pocket list on Monday? He probably thinks beating one evenly matched opponent trumps blowing double digit leads to 3 inferior ones/

13. Voltic89

Voltic89 New Member

Fair enough

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

What? Are you nuts? No, it doesn't mean Butch is the General. And, it doesn't mean he is the future. But it does mean he bought time.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i'll say this, i can't stand Butch Jones, but I can't ever root for a loss because to me, the kids don't deserve that shit. they work too hard. i don't blame any of y'all who feel differently. just where i stand

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'll agree. The kids are pretty much just doing what they're told. I can't fault them for that.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'll never root for a loss, but knowing what winning this game will likely do for Lyle's job security makes it damn near feel like a loss to me.

I am sincerely happy that the players get to enjoy a victory over a team with a pulse. I hate that the majority of them will be wasting their talent playing for Butch and floundering in the middle to bottom of the SEC. They all deserve better.

18. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Yup. You go for it n something ignorant like you don't pick it up happens and they've got all day and an extremely short field.

19. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I look at it differently. The likelihood we pay $12mil to get rid of him this year is pretty much nil. But, if he protects his resume by winning 7 or 8 games, he might choose to leave.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I worry about that shit again in two weeks. Until then, I'll just be happy.