Thoughts on early signing day

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 20, 2018.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

1. Wanya Morris - day one starter at LT

2. Ramel Keyton - I fully expect him to be, at worst, the 4th WR behind Callaway, Jennings and Palmer from day one

3. Jaylen McCollough - I wouldn't be shocked to see him start at safety from day one.

4. Eric Gray - He's a playmaker that will be a nice piece of the offense. He's going to play a lot

5. Tyus Fields - A very good DB prospect. He has a chance to come in and keep Baylen Buchanon off the field

6. Jackson Lampley - a good guard prospect, he's depth in a spot where there's not a lot

7. Savion Williams - He has to be a day one starter on the Dline

8. Roman Harrison - He's an interesting prospect. He played NT in high school but should be a stand up pass rusher

9. Melvin McBride - another good guard prospect, he hasn't played a lot of football, good size, hopefully can redshirt

10. Brian Maurer - an elite 11 QB, he looks like a good QB, he and Shrout will battle it out for the #2 spot

11. Aaron Beasley - good athlete, was a hell of a RB for his high school, may grow into a LB or be the bigger RB here

12. Warren Burrell - a bigger CB, was recruited by everybody despite being a 3 star guy

13. Jackson Lowe - a bigger TE than what's on the roster now, good blocker and a good receiver, brings good depth

14. Darel Middleton - a wide receiver that grew into a big DE, he's a guy that needs to contribute from day one on the Dline

15. Sean Brown - a really good blocking TE, more big guy depth

16. Elijah Simmons - one of my favorite signees, there isn't anyone else like him on Tennessee's roster on the Dline, he's an athletic space eating two gapper

17. Chris Akporoghene - hasn't played a lot of football but is huge. Hopefully can redshirt but he's very athletic and brings depth on the oline

18. Jerrod Means - an unknown receiver that Pruitt "discovered" at a camp, he's big and has good straight line speed.

A few instant day one contributors signed this week. The overall size on Tennessee's roster got better everywhere to go along with two big time play makers in Keyton and Gray on the offensive side. It was kind of boring due to only one big time flip, but Tennessee didn't lose anyone either. Tennessee needed help on the Oline and signed one of the best hauls in the country there. Two JUCO dlinemen in a serious position of need, too. Tennessee needs to find some linebackers and preferably a big time pass rusher by February.

I would give this class, right now a solid B. Land Crouch, Wright and Russell on NSD and keep Henry, Harris and Cox, it's an A.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Agreed. All the hand wringing yesterday was puzzling to me. If we land the remaining players we’re after, good times will not be far away.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

We signed some good linemen and if we get a couple more, I’m happy.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Harris is the one we really need to keep. Sounds like UNC is a real factor here. Not sure how his grades are either, but VQ seem to think hes had a good year so far in the class room.

Most seem to think Cox and Henry wont be in the class. Not sure how much that is us moving on or they just want to be elsewhere.

I think we get Wright for sure. Sounds like we're in a good spot for Crouch, but can't feel good about him until hes in class.

Would be nice to pull To'oto'o. But looks like bammer there.

Pappoe sticking with AU was really the only disappointment with this class, but that happened before the pendulum swung back with Crouch. Maybe not an even trade, but not complaining.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

All I'll say to that is it was a bit frustrating to look at any news outlet, national or SEC, and see/hear all of the talk be about other teams in the conference. I don't recall Tennessee being mentioned once on the snippets I caught over the course of the day.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee signed everyone they were supposed to sign.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not disagreeing, but if you casually follow it and tend to get emotional, I can see it being disturbing when all you hear is who's going to be number one, UGA or bammer and how many teams (who are not Tennessee) are finishing inside the top 5-6 nationally. I casually follow it, but I knew enough to no there was nothing really unexpected.

The only other thing is all the talk of flipping a number of guys that seemed to stir around the last several weeks and couple of months. I think some folks thought there would be more to come out of those rumors.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Good breakdown. I really like our DB recruits. That position is really going to improve.

Memtownvol and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  9. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

We're recruiting above our on-field performance. We finished 12th in the league on the field and we're sitting at 6th in recruiting. Not good enough to compete for a title but it's a start.

10. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Crawl, walk, run. I'm not concerned with UGA and UF at this point. We need to get on top of UK, Vandy, Mizzou, and SC. If we do that the talent will flow to close the gap with UGA and UF.