Top 5 All Time “What Could Have Beens”

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by emainvol, Aug 15, 2021.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I have heard basically this exact same story, except a starting DB was telling me about it and it was the Troy game.

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Troy was definitely one of those games you could tell the D was checked out on. Sal resorting to incoherently dog cussing everyone didn't help either according to what these guys told us. Dudes would [itch bay] about how they literally could not understand him when he was angry because he would become so unhinged that the only thing coming out of his mouth was spit and gibberish. The angrier he became, which was often, the more useless his communication was. This was so frequent it got to the point where anytime he screamed at them the message went straight through one ear and out the other.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We put 4.75 40 Teague man up on slot vs Florida with no help inside, outside or deep, multiple times. We called defenses that year like coaches who had never seen the game before

4. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

To me, this is the biggest what-if in Tennessee football history. If Johnny Majors had taken over in 1970 instead of Bill Battle, what would Tennessee football ben like?

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It definitely is.

My only other contenders for the What Ifs would be....

- For Neyland to swallow his pride and hire Bobby Dodd in '53

OR

- For Neyland to bring in Murray Warmath instead of Bowden Wyatt in '55

6. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

Or if Bob Woodruff had hired Barry Switzer in December 69 instead of Battle.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What if whoever was the head coach at the time actually recruited a young QB from Johnson City named Steve Spurrier. Believe the story went according to Steve that Tennessee simply didn't think he would fit well in their offense at the time.

8. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Florida might still be in obscurity.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would have been someone else, eventually. No flagship state school south of the Mason-Dixon line with a population in the 8 figures is going to be obscure for long.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We were running a single wing offense. Spurrier was never going to come here, so why bother recruiting him.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hindsight is 20/20, but could have been a good start to transitioning out of the Neyland era. Didn't our commitment to the single wing offense stagnate the program from what is was under Neyland?

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Yes absolutely.