Trey Johnson LB GA

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Jewbaccah, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Trey Johnson - Yahoo! Sports

He made a super secret visit here. Was an Auburn commit switched to Ohio State. Thigpen is his homeboy and grew up loving VOLS. No clue what the chances are but he is considering us. I have seen him play. He covers lots of space and is a big boy.

2. govols74n

govols74n New Member

Crossing fingers...

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Big need

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Would be better a better job than Lawson if he flips

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Agree

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Kept his visit silent due to his HS coach and some close to Trey (being) pro-OSU.

7. Montrell

Montrell New Member

Exactly. His H.S. coach has been the one pushing him extremely hard to OSU. I think if Trey were making his own decision he'd stay in the SEC and likely pick Tennessee. I dont know if anyone in his family is really pushing OSU on him, but the coach is going way overboard in it.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch and crew will get poor mouthed by Trey's HS coaches if he comes here.

9. Montrell

Montrell New Member

I have no doubt they will as well. I can't stand HS coaches like that. Always making it about themselves and not the kids.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hey, I'd poor mouth Urban in that situation.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Say what you want, the entire coaching staff has done serious work thus far.

12. vcoile

vcoile New Member

I don't know what you are gauging that off of. I guess we will see next week but so far this recruiting class isn't looking too good. I wouldn't say it was lack of trying though.

13. netnvol

netnvol Member

I think you answered your own question. Butch may or may not land any of these guys, but he's gotten us back in the conversation for a lot of good players we probably wouldn't have had a prayer with had Johnny Pants remained coach. CBJ has already given more effort to recruiting than Dooley did the entire time he was here.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's managed to get guys that Dooley quit recruiting interested again. That's extremely hard to do when dealing with the egos of 17 and 18 year olds that are getting offers from every where in the country.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That would be one of the biggest reasons I could never coach college ball. I would go full on Bob Knight on them.

16. Montrell

Montrell New Member

This. And unlike the previous staff every assistant works his ass off in recruiting. Did Palermo or Coiner even spend 1 minute on the recruiting trail? Didn't sound like it. Sunseri did absolutely nothing as well. Dooley allowed guys to be lazy and expected a select few to carry the load. Butch will not allow guys to come onto this staff, be lazy and not recruit extremely hard. Mahoney and Stripling (Strip is a very good position coach though) aren't very good recruiters from what I've seen but they still put in work.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Coiner had a one year deal and lived in a hotel suite

18. Montrell

Montrell New Member

That's just crazy. Oh well, Dooley is the one who assembled such a poor staff for '12 and that is what ulimtately cost him his job. That was a 9-4 team with an even below average coordinator running the defense, not some guy who was hideous in his DC stint at some Alabama directional school and was never considered by anyone for another DC position for about 10 years until DD came calling.