TSR Going Off The Air

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Vol2424, Jul 21, 2014.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was in this boat for a while, but I eventually quit caring for the show at all.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't follow this stuff, but I had listened to Ainge a few times online, and thought he was pretty good. What's gonna happen with him?

3. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

this.

I was rarely ever able to listen live and when I did it was 50mins of bs with a little sports sprinkled in...plus the jingles for quaker state the car insurance places drove me crazy. as was said, I liked Ainge when he talked football. Met Jason Bailey when I was in town for the Vandy game and he seemed like a decent dude. But fk them for getting my hopes up for our team every season. lol.

so...now that the season is approaching.....do I listen to Basilio? Is that the best bet for Vols coverage?

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I just reactivated my satellite radio after about a year because I couldn't take Knoxville radio anymore. It's all terrible. And that includes everybody. I'd rather listen to the guy in the stall next to me at work take a shit. I can't believe I made it without satellite for so long.

5. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

I agree with a lot of the comments here.

1. Ainge would be a superb color man. Other than that, get him off there. He could maybe one day be a lead man, but he would have to work hard on show prep, and I'm not sure that he is willing to do that.

2. Jaybay should have never touched a mic.

3. Swain is top 25 at best. He WAS a good player for us tho, and made some big catches in tight games.

4. The amount of commercials on TSR were just too much.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm not sure I could put him there.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think Ainge's biggest problem is probably show prep and lack of experience. He has a good radio voice, is smart and knows football. But can, when allowed, get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on a tangent.

I don't mind JayBay.

As for commercials, it wasn't always that way with TSR. The last year or so, it has gotten bad, but is still better than 990. 990 is 40 minutes of commercials per hour, and I do not think I am exaggerating. I cannot stand listening to that station, and it has gone down hill since Mike Keith left way back in the day.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Mike Keith is the worst voice in the history of radio. Guy is a grade A schmuck. I'd argue radio actually got better after he took his butthurty self to Nashville.

9. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

Had Ainge not been so prone to going off on his tangents, maybe Jaybay wouldn't have mattered. But he was the one who usually sent Ainge off with offhand comments. So to me, his presence on the show was a net negative.

But yeah, his voice didn't bother me. Neither did the fact that he was a bit of a homer as I'm the same way. And I LIKE my UT radio guys to be pro vol, and on the optimistic side.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm with you. I listen to iphone (music or podcasts) and satellite, almost exclusively. I just can't take all of the commercials. I understand that it costs money to run anything, and that sponsors pay the bills, but damn, sell 3 ads for $150 instead of 10 ads for $15.*

And I agree that it's all bad - sports, news, WIVK (gasp!), etc. The radio industry is now making the exact same mistake that newspapers made with web clicks. The true problem is that they're losing interest, in general, primarily because they have just now begun to come to terms with the web, and all of its ramifications. So now, they are clinging to the most certain form of revenue that they can, cheaper but much more prolific ads, even when they must know that doing so is causing them to lose even more interest, and more rapidly. Its a synergy of unexpected circumstance and shitty foresight, IMO.

* These numbers are straight from thin air, as an example. I don't know anything about AD prices for radio, or anything else.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

College Sports Nation on SiruisXM is actually pretty decent.

12. Not allowing Basilio to buy time on there was stupid as hell. Then their counter moves didn't pan. Hooker wasn't the same as before, and Phillips was bad.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

WIVK is the worst of the worst, granted Andy and Allison are better than Mark and Kim (who make me want to drive my car head on into an 18 wheeler) as far as morning shows. Still, that station sucks.

Merle is decent enough for country.

15. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I hate the Sports Animal. I didn't care for TSR either. I liken Sports Animal to the Central Korean News Agency.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Your last sentence is a painfully glaring, albeit a still relatively unknown / eschewed notion amongst most "Vawls Fans!", truth.

No local sports media could exist without the University of Tennessee, and they are not afraid to remind you of it. The problem is that the largest members of the local media most greatly and directly profit from this conflicting relationship, in that it allows each to have a tremendous advantage, and which they could not otherwise have:

The "established" media outlet is "protected" from any real and additional competition, as they are not as embraced by UTK insofar as the timely flow of important information and access, or at worst, are simply starved for information, altogether.

UTK benefits from this relationship insofar as they have both the power and control, and essentially, get to spin - if not outright craft - the story as they desire, be it in either the timing or actual content.

And they each have about as much desire to allow another media outlet to compete with the larger / preferred media members, even in the hope that they may gain even a fractional hold in this market, as the Democrats and Republicans have of allowing a third party candidate.

Its the audience, who wish to arrive at their own conclusions, based on the presentment of all known, relevant, trustworthy and unbiased information, who suffers the most. And most tragically, are only all-too happy to do so. That people in this market don't "get" this - or worse, do "get" or strongly suspect it, but just don't care - is galling.

Where's the harm? Well, as a quick first-comes-to-mind example: had the local media reported everything that they knew about [ddiapos], as it occurred and from verifiable sources - it wouldn't have taken three years to fire his ass. Believe that.

In fact, my favorite moments are when they actually tell the audience that they knew these things at or near when they occurred, but simply chose not to report it until well later, when it had lost all significance. I especially like it when people continue to pay one of those same people $20/month, even knowing that it's not really all of the information that they know, or should have reported.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wonder what other stuff they knew about, and treated people like morons if they brought it up

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They are as honest as they day is long.

Just a bunch of butthurt around here IMO.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Subtle, "I hang out with hat" post.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That's "Radio Celebrity, Hat" to you. Truth is, he's so busy shaking hands, kissing babies, and handing out signed 8x10s it's hard to call it hanging out with Hat.