Tyndall Fired

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Mar 27, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

10 year show cause

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Meanwhile, Pitino and Williams remain employed.

3. CardinalVol

Yup.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Roy must really be cheating for them to hit Tyndall so hard

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Ties Dave Bliss for the longest ever. Let that sink in for a minute.

6. CardinalVol

Those situations seem completely and totally equal.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I've not read the ruling or whatever it's called, but I did see a tweet about paying a GA to fly to Cali to do course work for a player. Or at least something similar. I read it boarding a plane so don't quote me.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Supposedly several GA's to several JUCOs

10. Tenacious D

If the AA Final Ruling is to believed (and, I guess it doesn't matter if it is, or not, at this point):

1. He had GA's take online courses for multiple JUCO players (7+ IIRC). They also got lazy and did it from Hattiesburg and some assistant's hometown in PA. Found same IP address - to PA hometown - used for multiple online courses, and for multiple players. In one email string between Tyndall, Asst and recruit, Tyndall inquired about grades. Assistant said "He's finished English and is now working on Psychology". Tyndall responded, "Don't talk about that on here!" It was his official USM email. Money always came in cash and prepaid credit cards...mailed from high school / prep coach (ostensibly to explain its originating from back home).

2. He claimed to have been told by South. Miss Compliance officer a high school coach could pay for the tuition and expenses of multiple non-qualifying players in their first year, when they weren't eligible for athletic aid. Compliance officer says he never recalled such a conversation. Tyndall gave the AA a page of what he alleged to be typed notes from a meeting with said Compliance Officer dated June 2012, where this was "approved". Turns out, document metadata shows that it was actually typed on Oct. 31st, 2014...by the Director of BBall....two years later...and app. 10 days from when Tyndall was told he would first be interviewed.

3. First interview with AA, they confront Tyndall with knowledge that he still has active email at Moorehead St. (?), he said nothing there and basically challenged them to go and look at them. They did. Turns out, he deleted them the day before or morning of that interview. He admitted doing so in later interviews. When asked why, he said they were "personal" and "embarrassing".

5. Report calls him "anxious to the point of being frantic" in contacting dozens of people - some dozens of time - and immediately before or after being interviewed by AA. He told many to lie, or to otherwise not cooperate, and seemingly to advise on corroborating previous lies.

6. Was told one recruit wouldn't be eligible because he required 4 online courses and couldn't pay the $500 that each required. Tyndall and Assistant go to drug store, Tyndall buys 4 credit cards at $500/ea, gives to assistant to give to player. Assistant does so. Conveniently, assistant keeps Tyndall's receipt and later gives it to AA.

7. Tyndall repeatedly asked how many phones he had used, and their numbers - and specifically about any "burner" phones - he denied any that he had not previously reported. Later, an assistant tells AA that he uses a phone registered in his mother's name. Turns out he was, and when confronted with their knowledge about it later, he finally admitted it.

That's off the top of my head, as best I can recall from having skimmed it - so don't take as gospel.

Does it warrant 10 years? What the former Baylor coach did was infinitely worse (more despicable, too), for sure, but it'd be easier to argue Baylor shoudn't have gotten much more, than Thndall shoudn't have gotten much less. Just my $.02

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

You skipped #4

He done some pretty unimaginative cheating.

Still hard to figure it's the same amount of punishment as what all Bliss did added up to.

12. CardinalVol

I guess 10 years effectively ruins your career without the issues that could come with a lifetime ban.

That said, if unc doesn't get the hammer and I'm dt, I lawyer up.

But good coach, not too bright otherwise it seems.

13. Tenacious D

Show cause for 10 years + must be suspended for 50% of the first regular season in which he returns to any AA gig.

So, yep, done and done.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And. Dave. Hart. Hired. Him.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The fact that Tyndall's hiring wasn't ultimately a fireable offense only shows further that the AD and really the university is out of control with nobody at the wheel.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Which makes me question validity of these reports. Because, ya know, Dave Hart fully vetted DT and all.