US WC line-up without Altidore?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Jun 17, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now that we have liberated Ghana's world cup hopes, I am trying to figure out what sort of line-up tweaks should be done to compensate for the loss of our field-stretching striker. I don't think Johannson gives us enough (as evidenced by his lame play against Ghana). Do you just plug in Wondolowski instead? Or do something more radical, like move up Dempsey and shuffle around the midfield?

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm debating whether AJ's poor play is a combination of nerves and Bradley having his worst game in a long time or whether we really need to move in a different direction. I'm not sure either Wondo or Dempsey can do it alone up there

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is my concern: we lack a player who can.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Might be dumb question but can we not just pick up a player like Donavan since this involves an injury or what? Does Donovan even play Altidore's position?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

No. You make your 23 man roster and live with it.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Donovan shouldn't have been left off. Period. Still upset about that.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Donovan shouldn't have taken a year off either

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pretty much it. You want to play on the WC team, play. Donovan is a weird duck, anyway.

9. GahLee

He's done enough for American soccer to be afforded that liberty, no?

10. NorrisAlan

But sport doesn't always work that way. Yes, he has the liberty to do so, but he has to suffer the consequences. He is no spring chicken, either, and to get out of shape (from what I heard) makes it that much harder to get your legs back under you. Hey, I wish he was on the team, and I think he and Klinnsman never got along ego wise, and that is a shame. But Klinnsman is the boss, and he seems to be pushing all the right buttons right now.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

they should've brought Tony Meola too, just for old times' sake

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I think you play Johansson. You have to trust the guys you brought. It also didn't help Johansson that the whole match was played on the defensive end. Also, maybe if he starts, his mentality will be different. I know about "always being ready" and all that, but he wasn't expecting to go in in the 27th minute or whenever it was.

13. GahLee

Do 23 guys play? He couldn't have been the 23rd guy on the roster? At least for pointers? Nothing? Anyway, I hope they overcome Altidore's injury.

14. NorrisAlan

Not if he and Klinnsman were going to both be egomaniacs and fighting all the time. I don't know either man, but if Donovan sits there and acts all melancholy and woe-is-me the whole month, he is better left at home. My opinion, of course.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Klinsmann did sort of address this when he made comparisons to Kobe.

Now I think he should have brought Donovan along, but I can live with his decision.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This isn't a new thing at the World Cup. It's just new to us. In 2002, Irish coach Mick McCarthy left Roy Keane behind. Brazil's coach at the time (and again now) left behind Romario. Both seemed unthinkable to fans at the time.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

It's not like Donovan and Altidore are like for like either.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Klinnsman left Kahn behind

19. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Having Donovan would be nice, but I'm certainly not upset with CJk's decision to leave him off. He shouldn't have taken a year off and then still expected to make the World Cup squad. That's his fault.

20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Keane basically walked out and went back home.