USC Changing Jersey Numbers DURING GAMES / NCAA RULES

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Vol2424, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

2. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Don't we do this with Bullard? Seems like he's 89 one play and 70 something the next

3. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

I could be wrong but I've seen him with 89 and 88. But that is what he went into the game with and stuck with. I haven't seen him switch during. That would be a problem if he has.

4. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I don't think there is any rule against it. It would make sense if you had someone playing on both sides of the ball since interior lineman must be numbered 50-79 by rule

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't believe that it matters if they switched numbers (as Homefry stated, it may even be required in some situations), because the only rule I can recall on this is that you can even have members of the same team share a number, they just cannot both be on the field at the same time.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I didn't think you could switch number during the game in an attempt to deceive the other team? Either way, Snake, this is what I was talking about last night.

Edit: I found it:

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Did David Ligon have to change jersey's on the sidelines a few years back when he went in as a TE from OL? I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

In order to be an eligible receiver, you cannot be #50-79

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was it done in a deliberately deceptive manner?

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Kiffin said he was trying to confuse upcoming opponents. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Especially since the penalty is an in-game 15 yarder. It's like a missed substitution infraction or something.

12. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

This is what is in the article...

"But this isn't about USC doubling up on numbers, which is common. Nor is it about USC switching jersey numbers during the week leading into games, which is also fairly common. (A team just needs to officially report which players are wearing which number.)

It's about USC switching jersey numbers during the game itself, which is in clear violation of the NCAA rulebook.

During Saturday's win over Colorado, USC changed Kessler's jersey to No. 35, the same number as punter Kyle Negrete. Kessler was then used on a two-point conversion in the first half. (The try was successful, with Kessler running it in himself, but called back due to holding.) In the second half, reports the Los Angeles Times, Kessler went back to using No. 6.

The NCAA rulebook says the following about swapping jersey numbers: "Numbers shall not be changed during the game to deceive opponents." A team caught doing so will be assessed a 15-yard penalty and "flagrant offenders shall be disqualified."

"We change jerseys all the time with our guys," Kiffin said on Tuesday. "We'll change some more this week. Everything's within college rules."

Well, that depends. As noted, changing jerseys during the week prior to a game is certainly within college rules. Changing jersey numbers on the day of a game is a violation. Changing jerseys during a game in an attempt to deceive the opposition comes close to making a mockery of an NCAA rule."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

The same way that an offensive lineman jumping makes a mockery of the illegal procedure rule?

Kiffin must be running the cleanest program of all time if this is the exposé.

Next step? Oxsoralen.

14. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

This was just what was in the article. In my opionion , it's a little different than a lineman jumping. If that defense thinks the punter is out there , they don't expect him to run that 2 point play , even if they should. They don't eject players for a lineman jumping , and they don't get 15 yards for it either. It's obvious what he was trying to do.

15. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

That last part was part of the article. I should have had it quoted. Not my words. I edited the post.

16. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

I was wrong about this. He did switch his number when Fulton got hurt. The staff apparently made it known when he went in the game. I don't see them trying to fool anyone by switching a TE to a OG.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I figured. Sorry, quoted your post but was arguing against the article, specifically the tone.

Anyways, the infraction and the prescribed penalties are clearly stated in the rulebook. The article only mentions one occurrence of the penalty, which would in theory invite a 15 yard penalty. Why is the number change a mockery of the rulebook, where an uncalled 15 yard offensive pass interference is "just letting them play?" Or take excessive celebration. Same penalty yardage. I believe that under an official's judgment, repeated offenses can result in ejection (or possibly two, I think in HS football). Intent would be easier to determine than for jersey switching.

Answer? Kiffin.

18. Vol2424

Vol2424 Contributor

Pretty much agree with your answer. Kiffin. I don't think this would be out there the way it is if it wasn't him , but my opinion on it would be the same no matter what coach it was.

I'm not shocked he would try this , but it's his risk. The only answer I can come up with for what the article says about making a "mockery of the rulebook" would be knowing the rule and his comments after he did it. If he does it again , as he suggests , that's throwing it back in their faces. I also agree that the penalty can be looked at as the same as some you mentioned. Like excessive celebration. The only difference is you aren't trying to fool anyone with a celebration. Fooling a defense with tempo , or offensive schemes is one thing. A QB changing a number for a 2 point play , only to switch numbers back with the punter shortly after is trying to deceive , or cheat for a better term. But once again , it's Kiffin we are talking about. I don't think anyone is shocked by this. But some may view this in a different way and see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

One thing is that it's going to be pretty hard to enforce that rule. Tough for the refs (or opposing coaching staffs) to verify the identities of 22 players every play referenced against a list of numbers, some of which are used for two different players anyways, in 40 seconds tops. So maybe if Kiffin had given indication that he knew the rule was in place but he didn't think the refs could catch him or something like that.