Ut pushing use of gender neutral pronouns.

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Aug 27, 2015.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Well, to state it clearly:

- Biology Librarian for the Tennessee Biology Department (made up) is logical

- Biology Librarian for the Office of Acceptance and Integration and the Pride Center is completely fluffed

I didn't state it directly who the woman whose profile I was quoting, perhaps I should have. I thought it had been iterated that the woman whose name was in my quote was the woman leading this initiative at UT. With her stance of "biological assignment at birth doesn't relegate you to a pronoun" and her title being "biology librarian" is nonsense of the highest order and absolutely go hand in hand.

I was assigned white human male at birth but I feel like I'm actually a Japanese WW2-era Mitsubishi Zero. I expect everyone here to address me as "Zen Zero".

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

So she's a biology librarian just for that office? Without a biology or information science degree?

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Her education and previous employment aren't listed on the Pride Center site. Just her position as director of the Pride Center and her status as a Biology Librarian. Which, at face value, look completely ridiculous.

With a little more research, she does have experience with biological science and worked with Hodges Library for a bit. So, for now, she's off the hook as she was literally a librarian that focused on biological/biomedical research listings as well as LGBT topics at Hodges. I don't think "biology librarian" was her title at the Pride Center, it was just a title she held at UT so it was included on her "About Me" page.

So, I recant my snide remark through the form of a gif.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And DiPietro has axed this.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

A little public ridicule goes a long way

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can I say we are going to get in some Bowling Green ass today? Is that gender neutral?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think someone wrote a science fiction novel where you can't tell what the gender of any of the characters are (to some interesting narrative effects). Maybe she is just missing her calling as a writer.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is what happens when we tell kids they can make a difference

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that's how faculties and universities in general become the bastions of idiotic, single minded leftism.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and universities are riddled with lunacy.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That is a good point, and it explains a lot.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

15. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Glad this went away because this was as smart as the common core math bullshit.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Damn SJW

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Didn't read the whole thing but his opinion on "Billy and I" is dumb. The reason that rule is enforced is because:

"Billy went to the store."
    "I went to the store."

"Billy and I went to the store."

vs

"Billy went to the store.'
    "Me went to the store."

"Billy and me went to the store."

Broken into parts, "Billy and I" works, and "Billy and me" doesn't.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agreed. Grammar and usage are not that difficult if folks would put forth a modicum of effort.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

I understand a very small percentage of people have psychological issues with this, however I just don't get the thought process of stigmatizing what is a basic tenet of biology, and necessary for propagation of the species.