UVA Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 2, 2023.

1. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Hadden played well and didn’t get too dramatic

Dee Williams hopefully got his 1 fumble out of the way because he is a threat

The defense seems as good or better against the run

Linebacks actually running in pass coverage instead of watching

Kick better now

Joe was Joe but I hate he got robbed of a highlight. He really needs those and would have changed the feel of his performance. His stiff arm was nutsworthy. And he ran unscripted a couple times so that’s better. We are so used to deep threats that will unfortunately be his dipstick with many. But just win and it will sort out.

Really liked the explosiveness of Wright. He find and hits the hole very fast

McCastles looked smaller but faster than expected. That could come in handy

The only thing that really sucked was kicking.

I think we look a little faster on defense but it will take a DT QB to know for sure. Herring had a very solid game. Arion Carter is a specimen. Def one to watch

CardinalVol, Ssmiff and ole_orange like this.
  2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Anyway we can bribe UVA’s punter to transfer portal over to Knoxville? That dude could punt his ass off. The rugby thing where we punt a ball on the run 25 or 30 yards downfield makes me anxious

reVOLt and Memtownvol like this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They say the punter looks better in practice so things may shift on that. Also, hopefully we won't punt so much if the offense gels better.

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Wright is only going to get better now that he is committed to becoming an inside/outside workhorse. By October he'll be experienced in the flow of inside 2nd level defenders and by November he'll be drawing comparisons to the greats.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The fanbase also has to remember that we have proven under JH that we always get better offensively as the season progresses. Unlike 2010-2020, we don't have clowns running a circus in Knoxville anymore.

NorrisAlan and utvol0427 like this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Punting needs to improve which I am sure it will. Dee is fun on returns but I would bet that is not his last fumble. He plays a bit loose with the ball. In critical situation I would rather have White back there.

All in all I don't think we will really know what we have until the UTSA game.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Speaking of UTSA, do y'all think we held back a little on the playbook vs UVA? If we did, will we do the same vs UTSA? I really can't tell with this staff. I feel they just call what's there and say forget hiding plays. But I'm sure they work on little wrinkles for teams like bama and georgia.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

UVA had safeties 18 to 20 yards off the ball, they weren't going to get beat deep, so Heupel ran 3 plays over and over again

TDVol1989 and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw someone say they ran like 8 plays over and over with only a couple of one-off ones. I think they're building up the repertoire to make sure we have nailed our bread and butter, and maybe to make preparation tougher for Florida on.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Honestly it took Hendon till the Florida game last year to iron out some things. And that game was like lift off.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Also, we have a few guys that didn't get a bunch of touches that will probably figure into our plans more heavily as the season goes on.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Lost in all the rhetoric on Heupel’s offense is that he is actually very pragmatic with it

HCKevinSteele, A-Smith and warhammer like this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Swinging it out to the backs in the flat was something Hendon never looked for. You start stretching defenses vertically, those swing passes are going to be there all day

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Personally I don’t thing CJH subscribes to that old school strategy. He wants yards and points and wins. He took what they gave and we didn’t execute perfectly. He is a different dude. He isn’t here to win only. He’s trying to wreck shit. I think he doesn’t give a damn if you know what’s coming. He doesn’t think you can stop it. But he’s going to be super nice in the process while making the occasional dig…subtlety.

I love having a coach that would prefer to beat you by 35 more than 34. Dude has a chip. And after last year, I give him some leeway. I mean it was just football cocaine until USCJr. We all knew it too.

reVOLt likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I love that he'll run it directly at you until you stop it. He doesn't get too cute

warhammer and TDVol1989 like this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Pearce keeps putting offensive tackles on skates, a two score lead will be hard to overcome

TDVol1989 likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Joe Milton stiff arm isn't talked about enough

VOLinDAWGland and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

you remember Guarantano swing passes? Milton throws them in the right spot. Guarantano at times looked like the Peyton NFL skit.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Speaking of UTSA, I watched them Saturday and, while small sample size, they didn't look anything close to what they did last season.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

While it's UVA, we handled business. It was obvious we kept everything close to the vest and we still handled business. We're more talented than they are, but the gulf between us and them is closer than the (on paper) gulf is between us and the elite 4-5 teams.

But, the moment that stuck out to me the most was when Milton threw a perfect ball to Keyton on the 3rd drive. I remember thinking "this will test his composure". In times past, that's usually when he gets tight and starts overthinking routes and missing his throws. After that throw, in the next 2 drives, he went 2/5 18 yards. The 3rd drive after that was when we started well but ended up at 1st and 25. That, to me, was the test of what Joe Milton we have. Game was 7-0 and it was halfway through the 2nd Quarter. The last 4 drives were 3 punts and a TOD. It was tight and Milton looked tight.

1st and 25.

Milton goes 3/5 for 56 yards and digs us out of the hole and leads a TD drive.

After that point he led 5 TD drives to only 1 punt.

I know it's UVA, but I also know that that is the kind of game that we have absolutely failed to put away in the past 15 years. We fumble, have a bad drive or two and our D starts getting gassed. Opponent gets some confidence and makes it a game. We didn't allow that. It was good to see even if it was just UVA.