POLITICS Violence Against Asian Americans

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Indy, Mar 20, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Indy doesn't know that autocorrect trains off him. There isn't any point in trying to teach a 30 year old with 80 year old tendencies anything new.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If by “trains,” you mean I didn’t click the “x” the first time it autocorrected to the “é,” so it kept autocorrecting, then sure.

If by “trains” you mean I’ve typed that word and intentionally input that “é” myself, then you’re wrong and maybe a liar. Hell, I had to look to see which way the acute accent (had to look up what it was called too) even tilted so that I could properly type this post.

I certainly didn’t train it to autocorrect to ducking every single time I type the word [uck fay]ing.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You should write Apple a letter. Or, if you really don’t want them to read it, have Tenny write the exact same message, but in 10,00 more words.

4. fl0at_

Words you accept, yes. That's training. So don't blame autocorrect for you accepting the words. That's on you. You had a choice in the matter, and chose that one. And that choice is intentional.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

“Accept” isn’t really a fair characterization of what happens. I type the word fiancé, and keep going. The moment I hit the comma, or the space bar, or the period after the word, it autocorrects.

In order to stop my phone from autocorrecting, I would have to stop typing after the word fiance, wait for the autocorrect to pop up (it happens quickly, but still requires a pause), then click the little “x” on the autocorrected word. And who knows how many times I have to do that before it takes the hint and stops autocorrecting it? It hasn’t taken it yet: fiancé

I’m sure there’s a setting somewhere in the phone that I could use to correct it once and be done with it. But again, I don’t care enough about it to find that and make the change.

That’s a lot of extra steps to correct something that I really don’t give a shit about.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I autocorrected the post. There were some extra letters and stuff.

Indy likes this.
  8. fl0at_

Yes. Accepting is exactly the way to characterize that.

You don't finding waiting acceptable, so you accept what comes from autocorrect.

You accept it. And it is intentional.

9. fl0at_

To get back to your topic at hand, this is the definition of a semantics argument. You agree that violence against Asian Americans is increasing, and that some feel threatened. But you disagree over whether this reporter should say all, or some, or whether she is making it up, despite her saying she's only talking about people she has talked to.

You've chosen this idea that the reporter is exaggerating, while accepting that Asian Americans are seeing more violence. Or you've decided they are just lying, which is probably more likely, simply because you've convinced yourself that you should distrust media. You don't want to accept that she may be telling the truth, despite it being only the people she's talked to... and that violence has increased, which means that some do feel this threat. So all of this is just to decide whether or not the reporter is telling the truth.

But let me make it easier on you, and just say that she is. You can convince yourself that she just lacks diversification. You can imagine that a NYT writer, who makes these claims... all of her friends, and probably her co-workers... at least the ones that speak about it, as the others probably just don't bring it up, they all probably think they are all under attack. So there you go. Every one of the people she talked to probably reflected back exactly what she was thinking. That's why they talked.

Now, your fiance, she is marrying a white dude from Indiana. It's safe to say she probably has a bit more diversification than the NYT writer. So there you go, now you can put it to bed.

But what I wouldn't put to bed is this idea about your kids. You are going to have a different experience for raising kids than most. You're a gamer. It stands to reason your kid will be a gamer. There is absolutely some anti-Asian shit out in the wild in gaming communities, in videos. And we can say a lot of them are just little jokes right? But you're going to have to worry about that, psychologically, and here is why: you gonna let your 12 year old get upset because they heard something from some random shithead in a game? Not likely, no. Are you going to go down the path that you seem to think now, which is, "ah, just shrug it off, it's just a joke, nobody means it, be able to laugh at your self?" Because that's a path I'd be careful to walk, because if you teach your kids to make fun of themselves, you might find that they do. And you might find that that teaches them not to love themselves. And if a person starts to think nobody loves them, and they don't love themselves... that's a dark road that can lead to some bad decisions and worse endings.

So good luck, dude. You're going to pass on what you learn now.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not changing anything about the way I would normally type a text by hitting the space bar after typing that word. There is no new action. It's the norm.

Intentional would be taking the time to stop and do all the extra steps to prevent it from autocorrecting.

11. fl0at_

They are both intentional. You are responsible for the things that come from you. Even the things you've trained yourself to do normally.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Intentional means a conscious decision.

Is there any action that is unconsciously completed more frequently than typing a space after a word that is not the final word in a sentence? Name an action that the average American, who does significant amounts of work via phone and computer, does more frequently than typing a space after a word that is not the final word in a sentence.

Breathing? Is that "intentional" too? It's the norm. The status quo. Holding your breath is intentional.

Any other examples?

13. fl0at_

All of those are intentional, including breathing. You can alter the space between your breaths, which is intentional, until it becomes normal, such that your respiratory rate is slower. The initial action was intentional, and therefore every action after was based on an intentional action, thus it was intentional.

And you can change it again, at a whim. Which means staying one way is also intentional.

Now, you cannot teach yourself to never breathe, because your body will reject that. And when it makes you breathe, that was an unintentional act, because it went contrary to your intention.

Learning to type is intentional. And thus every way you type after is also intentional.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You have to consider the environment in which this topic is being discussed. This isn't a private discussion between two people. If my fiance (I'm on my computer now), or even one of her Asian American friends made that comment to me, using the word "every," I might not question it at all. I already know that "every" for my fiance or one of her Asian American friends is probably not a massive amount of people, and even if she or the friend is exaggerating a bit, who cares? She's just telling me, alone, about it, so the impact isn't all that significant.

This woman is a reporter for the NYT, someone who literally gets paid to write and say words. That already comes with a certain level of credibility. In addition to that, she has been researching and investigating violence against Asian Americans and is now commenting on violence against Asian Americans on a podcast with millions of listeners. Her job allows (some might say requires) her to diversify the people with whom she speaks, where others are limited to speaking to those people they know personally. In fact, I think it's fair to say that if she's a good reporter (I have no reason to believe she's not), she SHOULD be speaking to a diverse group of people. That leads to the assumption that she has spoken to a LOT of Asian Americans, otherwise, what credibility does she have to speak about how Asian Americans are feeling on a podcast with millions of listeners? And if she has spoken to a LOT of Asian Americans, assumedly many more than my fiance or one of her Asian American friends, isn't it significantly more likely that 1 of those people has not expressed feeling under attack lately? If we are being honest, it's probably substantially >1, but we only need 1 for "every" to be removed from the phrase.

Furthermore, the impact of her comment is significantly greater than that of the previous example because millions of people are listening. Millions of people are hearing this allegedly credible person, who they can assume speaks to a LOT of Asian Americans, say that every Asian American she speaks to feels under attack.

I just don't like the idea of jumping to every when the true number is some. And if that reporter has truly heard that from every Asian American she has spoken to, I question whether she is doing her job correctly or has the credibility to speak on the topic to such an audience.

As for my child(ren), you're taking a number of leaps there. I'm not sure I would ever take the approach of calling anti-Asian shit they hear on the internet "little jokes," which is what you built the rest of your commentary on. I do know two things:
    • I don't want my children to be the victims of violence because they are half Asian American. (Just to clarify, I don't want them to be victims of violence for any reason, but since we are talking about race/ethnicity, I'm specifying). The comments made by this reporter suggest that this is something I should be worried about, while my fiance's experience as an Asian American who grew up and resides in America suggests that it's not.

• I don't want my children to feel like victims if they have been victimized.

15. fl0at_

People's assumptions are their own, and nobody is responsible for what you assume, least of all any reporter. You are making assumptions. Stop. Regardless of impact, you are making assumptions. Stop.

The reporter didn't jump to every, you did. The reporter said every one she talked to. That could have just been one. Any assumptions you add to that are your own bias. Stop.

Whether a reporter does their job "correctly" is another bias of yours. Stop. Stop biasing it. Stop assuming. Just stop.

None of the leaps I'm taking are unlikely scenarios. They might not occur. But they might. They absolutely won't occur for a lot of other people. You assigning suggestion to the reporters words is another of your biases. The reporter doesn't suggest that this is something you should be worried about in the future. It is something that people are worried about now. You can't draw conclusions about now against your fiance's past. You can't do it. It's like saying my son should worry about getting shot in Afghanistan, because that was once a worry I had. That's non-[uck fay]ing-sensical.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't agree that every action after is intentional because it is based on an initial intentional action.

Learning something - anything - is intentional. It takes a conscious decision being made in order to occur, making it an intentional action. Learning is an intentional action.

Typing and learning are not the same actions. You can learn to type, and that action is intentional because you made a conscious decision to learn to type. But once you have learned typing to the extent that the act of typing itself can be done without conscious decision making throughout, it is no longer intentional.

If I decide to reply to your post, that's intentional. Typing a space after every word in my reply is not intentional. It's not a conscious decision each time I hit the space bar. It's unconscious. It just happens without thinking about it.

17. fl0at_

They are all intentional. You are making a conscious decision to type. Your neurons aren't firing on their own, they are firing based on your thoughts.

Simply because it is fast does not make it unintentional.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Correct. Fiancée is a woman. Fiancé is a man.

My auto-correct tried changing both to finance.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I might be mistaken but it appears the vast majority of these attacks are Black on Asian.

I saw 1 video of a white dude on a stretcher after the old lady he attacked kicked hiss. I saw a video today of a hispanic; but most attackers per the videos seem to be Black.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shhhh. Its better if people just assume they are all american white men, like the Colorado shooting and capitol attack 2 days ago. Imagine if the guy had been wearing a trump hat instead of a staunch follower of islam.