Watching Film: The new Tennessee Offense under Josh Heupel

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 12, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Memtownvol likes this.
  2. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

After qb coach breaks down that BG game film and coaches up Milton, think we’ll see other QB’s used? Does everyone think he’s coachable? In spots he looked like a statue, slow to react. In spots his receiver vision was slow. First games rust?

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think Milton will either be coachable or JH will move on after 3 or 4 games if the same misses are missed.

Volokie and Volsdude like this.
  4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I've been wrong before but...

1. Without even critiquing his poor play, he just doesn't look like a QB. Nothing about how he carries himself on the field or even his face when shown gives off a hint of leadership or confidence. The only difference between the body language he showed Saturday and what we saw from JG is that JG had that wide eyed doofus expression and Milton just looked dumbstruck.

2. Milton's size and build looks great but he isn't a good enough of an athlete to make that anything more than window dressing.

It's just one game and I've been wrong plenty of times so take this with a grain of salt.

A-Smith, Volokie and TDVol1989 like this.
  5. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I hate to insult you but…I agree. I know I am one of the more impatient posters here, but I do give a damn. Everyone falls for that type of arm and size. Dude has a gun. But coaches, and managers too, think they can steer that raw talent, hone it, polish it, etc.

It’s ok if I am wrong. It means we are winning. But I think hitching your wagon to Milton at QB is a going to lead down the wrong path more often than not. I watched A LOT of ball this weekend and I did not get more optimistic about our throw game. And that is what it is at this point. Throwing flat bullets. I don’t see how a guy this deep in his career with a private QB coach is going to start throwing with touch at this point.

And either Heupel really missed the evaluation on this guy or he is another practice stud. It’s a shame because our defense has some spirit and our run game is pretty good. Our talent is good enough to win 7-8 without injuries. But I don’t see it with Milton back there. But the Pitt game will be a better measure.

By agreeing, I may have unintentionally caused negative feedback for you.

Volokie and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  6. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I kept thinking the next possession he’s going to put in another QB to get some reps, as Florida would have to take advantage of an opponent that’s not likely to beat you. I kept thinking as Milton warms up and gets loose he’ll get more relaxed and accurate. I kept thinking, coach Heuple will see what I see and change QB’s, disregarding that he recruited Milton and chose him to start for a QB that performs more consistent, accurate, and relaxed. I’m hoping he knows something I don’t, that he doesn’t owe Milton, he’s not a stubborn big ego coach, that Milton is fixable because they know how to fix him.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Hard to believe this is true, but the radio said that was Heupel's first game with under 500 yards of offense. That against possibly the worst team in FBS. Hard to believe he will stick with that long unless he is taking the same stupid pills that all our other coaches have taken.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Offensive genius comes to coach Tennessee. Proceeds to average 20 ppg. Sounds about right.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It's always about the qb. Give me an accurate thrower who runs like he means it and most games will be down to making a few plays.
    Milton had a couple of decent looking runs. He is huge so at times those with less foot speed look slower. At other times he didn't look smoothe.
    I believe we ran about 4 or 5 plays. JH main focus on fundamentals, getting calls in, subs, lined up. All of that looked pretty good for the first game and everybody new.
    Think he also got an idea of what Milton can't do and will work on it and adjust his play calls.
    JH hasn't had to deal with qbs not seeing mismatches and where the ball needs to go in awhile.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's going to scheme up opportunities, it's just a matter of guys executing. Up until now, he's made it happen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a quick hook on Milton if it's needed

Lexvol likes this.
  11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

So if Milton gets pulled, does Hooker get the nod or is it Bailey? Bailey has the better arm, yes?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

omg, a lexvol sighting

Lexvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Mediocre QB play will not be tolerated….this is the first time in 4 years fans can rest assured that the best QB will eventually end up with the reigns. You cannot blame the staff for going with the personnel with the biggest “upside” first.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Welp, Milton's about to win the Heisman.

VolDad likes this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'll be damned. It's good to see you.

Lexvol likes this.
  16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

An easy 21 points were left on the board Thursday.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd guess Hooker next, just because Heupel likes to run.

18. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Lol..I don’t have the emotional energy to go year round anymore.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If one should strive for anything in life, it’s to never arrive in agreement with anyone who un-ironically suggests Bo Pelini for your coach opening

warhammer, Lexvol and justingroves like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

evidence suggests that one thing worse than hiring bo Pelini is firing bo Pelini

MWR, 10SEvols and Lexvol like this.