Week 5 Rankings

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 1, 2022.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well, let's give this a shot. You could list 6 to 10 in any order and I'd hear your argument for it.

1. Bama - beatable? Maybe. As far ahead of the pack as before? No.
    2. UGA - lot of Tennessee 99 vibes here. All kinds of talent, but mentally they don't seem dialed in.
    3. Tennessee - we will learn a lot next weekend, but this is as good as I've felt about this team in over a decade
    4. Ole Miss - right now they are the 2nd best team in the west.
    5. Kentucky - all I know is Levis 4th quarter fumbles looked just like those of the greats - Montana, Elway, Manning, Brady. Screamed best QB in draft
    6. LSU - here's the thing. I don't know. They are 4-1, could be 5-0, and could also be 2-3. I don't think they are great. But i think they could beat any team below the first two any given day.
    7. State - they are a solid team. Good? Probably not, but they are a 7 or 8 win team. A typical leach team.
    8. Arkansas - I might be unfairly dropping them for the loss today, but every team above them is more deserving of a higher ranking. 9 wins are on table still.
    9. Florida - this is more by default than anything else.
    10. A&M - I've hit the point where I think Jimbo knows he's got 95M coming regardless and cares more about his ranches than he does football now.
    11. Auburn - we're officially on "does Harsin make it to Monday?" watch
    12. Carolina - someone had to be here
    13. Mizzou - a bump for the players. They played to beat UGA. The coaches coached to lose it. Terrible playcalling.
    14. Vandy - back at home.

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I don’t think anyone can argue with that. Seems like there is an unreal amount of inconsistency among all teams. Everyone has a bad game or 2. Columbia is a boring environment. But Ga isn’t playing juggernaut football.

Arkansas appears to have broken after KJ’s fumble last week. Bama and Ga are beatable but they still have championship closing natures.

Lots of teams could play solid football 1 week and suck the next. I like Tennessee’s relative consistency. We are not SEC Championship deep or talented on Def. But in a street fight any given week, who knows. We could beat Bama. We could beat Ga. But it requires some good fortune.

I will say I do not believe sucking 1 week means you won’t play the Vols tough. Just keep executing

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

As someone who thought Levis would take the next step and be another Josh Allen, I was very very very wrong and Kentucky honestly looks like they could lose 3 more. Ole Miss wasn't exactly playing crazy good, Kentucky should have won by two TDs at least. But they continue to make mistakes and they don't run enough plays to overcome that.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But why?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The SEC east isn't very good at all outside UGA and Tennessee.

Everyone congratulate future first round NFL QB, darkhorse Heisman quarterback Will Levis on throwing for over 200 yards in a road loss, that's way over his 168 yard average.

Kirby is already talking about how his players are men for playing through injuries and how they aren't 100%...shut the [uck fay] up Kirby, you have the most talented roster in the country.

Alabama just looks like a really good team, not their usual dominant self.

I think this is Mike Leach's year to win a lot, he'll go back to 7-5 for a few years afterwards

Every SEC team besides UGA and Alabama have huge issues, it's a weird year

TDVol1989 and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And Alabama may have an issue with Young being hurt

Missouri showed how to slow down UGA, stand up at the LOS, Stetson Bennett IV can't see over them

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I didn't realize how short he is till that game last night.

I think college footballs overall quality is going to suffer with all the transferring going on. At least in the short term

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Chaos is a ladder. This is how we move back up.

A-Smith and TDVol1989 like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee is probably going to be 7th or 8th in the polls by simply not playing

10. cpninja

cpninja Member

Counter intuitively I think CFB is better when the best teams are worse. It’s boring having Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State on a tier above everyone they play every year. Gimme Georgia in a fight with mizzou or Bama squeaking by Texas over those years where they would beat those teams by 24+ pts before half time

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh, I agree. I am simply talking the quality of football being played. High turnover makes the games a lot sloppier.

cpninja likes this.
  12. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

You are higher on State than some fans that I work with...and they are football coaches at that. One is even a former player there. Haha... They all know futility is always a week away down there....

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yep and then knock down the ladder and join team hierarchy

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I remember in the early 2000s thinking how uncomfortable I was with all of the chaos. I wanted order restored.