What do you think about expansion?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by volfanjo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm the same way. I don't know how much anyone cared about either of those teams before conference realignment, and that was when they were playing teams with which locals were familiar. Viewership I would think will actually drop once the opponents are all from another world.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'm not as up in arms as some of you guys. I'm a little tentative simply because I value tradition and history as well as I don't know how it will impact our schedule and such. I'm turned off from the perspective that it is about money, but see the big picture of what they are doing. From an institutions point of view it's a good thing because the next time a TV contract is agreed upon you can bet the conference and its teams are going to be making a buttload of cash.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The move also keeps us from getting squeezed out of our share by other future super conferences. The SEC will be the biggest, most successful, and one the most historic conferences next season. No other conference will be able to even attempt to compare itself. No more Big 10/Pac 10/Big 12 superiority claims. The conference wars are over before they even begin. It is like the BigEast in basketball prior to realignment.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Although I'm sure the schools and their fanbases care about the rivalries, at the end of the day TAMU and Mizzou decided the grass was greener. It's a no-brainer that jumping conferences would jeopardize B12 rivalry games.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doesn't make a lot of sense to take two programs that have won what 3 conference championships between them the past 40 years let alone national titles? not sure what mizzu gets out of this really. except $$$

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Money and the ability to say they play in the best conference in college football. It's a win/win for them any way you slice it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but at least they have a prayer of one day winning the big-12. the sec? not so much.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

May not be worth the money involved. At least you would think that has to be the reason, because what you posted is true.

9. WM

WM Active Member

[video=youtube;DZR1gSvnOI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0[/video]

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A&M excited me, but not much there for Mizzou. About the only pro that could personally come out of this for me is a trip to Columbia a weekend the Cardinals are at home in St. Louis. Really, that's it.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm just coming to the realization that the game has changed so much since I first started watching as a small child. Money always wins. The thoughts of many rivalries that have stood the test of time being lost because of greed is sickening. But things change. All the time. I'm just worried the product will eventually not deviate very much from the pro game. Which in itself is disturbing. There was always something romantic about amateur athletics, although I'm not naive enough to think that it hasn't been a flawed system for much longer than I've ever watched.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Plus 1

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Probably increases your ticket price...priceless

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I wouldn't mind it so much if we actually added teams from what is considered, you know, the South East. Teams that reasonably meet that definition and would expand the market include, Maryland, W Va, Va Tech, NC State, etc.