When does Basketball season start?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NorrisAlan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not a big basketball fan, and in fact, have never cared much for the sport. But, hell, at least Barnes has a damn resume.

When does basketball season start?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not soon enough

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't think the Phins are going to help you too much this year.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Pretty sure they're going to suck too.

Instead of watching sports, I'm going to take up a hobby. Maybe learn how to write peoples' names on a grain of rice, or juggle. Something useful.

5. NorrisAlan

I always wanted to learn Latin. That would be more useful, too.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

i've always imagined a novelty act playing Rocky Top blowing in Mtn Dew bottles with varying amounts of liquid in them. I'd probably make a million off the sheeps every Saturday

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not what Barnes has said. He said he has had teams with far less talent make the tournament and he expects this team to make the tournament. Refreshing for a coach to have high expectations.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

I renewed my season tix. I'm a self-pugilist.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

notice they're playing UAH in an exhibition this year. Was hoping to get to play UT when I played there, unfortunately we got to play Vandy instead.

10. NorrisAlan

Seriously. When does practice start? I need anything to give me hope in UT sports.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

You'd probably have to watch Women's doubles in tennis or something.

12. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Is this that game where the bounce the ball and throw it at that basket looking thing?

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You mean the open-ended dip net? Yeah, I think that's it.

14. NorrisAlan

DeBord went to Thompson-Boling and wanted to know where the peach baskets were hung.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I laughed at this, thank you.

16. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

It's refreshing to see that Barnes expects to be an NCAA tournament team. Even if you don't have the talent you still want to push your team instead of making excuses.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Barnes won't make excuses and they won't make the tourney. Not enough of anything to be on that level.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

How do you see Barnes doing here

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I like this staff better than any they've had but like any program it'll come down to who they get in recruiting. Turner and Alexander have potential to be pretty good, Scholfield and Phillips have potential to be solid and there just isn't much else at this point in terms of underclassmen.

I'd guess it would be year three before they have a chance at making the tourney based on talent. But again I think the staff is really good it'll just take time.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

John Feinstein has a weekly segment on Midday 180 on 104.5. He is good friends with Rick Barnes so he talked about him on Monday after the two were golfing together. One thing I liked hearing Feinstein say is Rick is a guy always looking to improve, always studying other coaches. He is a guy that is not afraid to ask for advice from other coaches. He is not the stubborn type (read no option) that continues hitting a square peg in a round hole. They're friends so John is not going to say anything negative about him but I thought that was refreshing to have a coach who will adapt what he's doing to make his team better. That tells me he will put each player in the best position to succeed, something we're not seeing with the football team. I hate it for the players on the football team as it is not their fault. Look how Dobbs was used against Arkansas or how the receivers have been (not) used all year. I see the same thing with Whisenhunt and the Titans so I am looking forward to seeing something different with Barnes and the basketball team.