When Gruden comes ...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by smokysbark, Nov 25, 2012.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

is it the general consensus that he wants to install a hybrid spread offense. It's what I've seen all over the place and most recently from La Canfora about him loving Kelly's spread style and practice organization. The reason for this thread is I want to hear from the guys that have a better handle on the roster than I do. How long would it be before this style would be able to be implemented? No QB that I can see who can run a the read/option on the roster especially with the VEER type plays that Kelly runs. I was expecting a pro style offense but looks like he may well go with the spread. What are your thoughts on how long it will take to get that type offense viable with our roster?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Worley has the accuracy it takes in a traditional spread/short pass game. But...as for the read option...I don't think he would be the guy. Peterman ran some in HS but I would think he would have to recruit a guy to run that style in this year's class if that is what he wants.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm not real excited about the spread offense's chances of success in the SEC. Oregon hasn't done real well against defenses with a stout front 7 combined with a ball control offense. I guess Florida was essentially a ball control offense as well but Tebows don't come along everyday. I'm old school I guess and I love to see a 240lb back dotting the I in a smash mouth offense.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think it'll be a West Coast offense type with the fast pace of Oregon style offense.

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Maximum number of plays, but still with that NFL feel to it. JMO

6. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

.... women within 2 square miles spontaneously give birth.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Immaculate acquisition

8. robvols

robvols Member

I have to say there will be elements of the spread sprinkled throughout the offense