Who wins tonite? What's the score? And Why

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Beechervol, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think Purdue is good enough that we know we're going to have to focus for 40 minutes. Purdue has a lot less pressure on them (nobody expected anything from them this year), but I don't think the pressure hurts this group--the end of the SECT game against Kentucky showed that, and if it didn't, OT against Iowa did. This group is good under pressure. When they're not good is when they think they can skate on by to the next round without putting in full effort.

So I think we're fine on the mental side and it'll come down to basketball. And on the court, it's pretty close to a toss-up. Gonna say Vols get it done 77-72

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We said that this team would be awoken by such a beating at Rupp.

And then at LSU.

And then at Auburn, with a regular season title on the line.

And then against Auburn in the SECCG, with our first tourney title in 40 years on the line.

And then by letting Colgate being only down 2 with 5 minutes to play.

And then evaporating a 25-point lead vs Iowa, before hanging on in OT.

And it didn’t.

And it didn’t.

And it didn’t.

And it didn’t.

And it didn’t.

And it didn’t.

At some point, this is just who this team is, and there is no magic pixie dust or amount of wishful thinking left to reasonably believe otherwise.

Tonight is the final game for Admiral, and this season. I just hope that we can keep it respectable.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I no longer believe that there is a wake-up call that gets us to play all out for 40 minutes every game. That ship sailed five different times. But I have seen us buckle down and play for 40 minutes when it's a big moment and we're not overconfident. Unless we end up playing Oregon in the Elite Eight or winning a tense final four game and then playing somebody like Florida State or Virginia Tech in the title, I don't see any reason for us to be overconfident the rest of the season. Doesn't mean we can't still have a stretch of bad play and blow a lead (see: the LSU game), but I don't think we're just going to switch off for 10-20 minutes like we did against Iowa and Colgate for as long as we're playing top 10-15 teams. We'll see.

Indy and lylsmorr like this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree. I expect we will approach games down the stretch the same way as we approached Miss St and UK in the SECT.

I also don't think Purdue or UVA have the type of length or athleticism that can force us into tripping over our own [Richards], like an Auburn or LSU can.

I do have some concerns with playing that long Oregon team in the Elite 8, should the opportunity arise. I could see us not coming out as hard against them as we would against UVA, and I do think their length, athleticism, and pace of play could cause us problems.