Why are you a Vol fan?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 11, 2015.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I was at both of those games. My dad tried to make me leave the Arkansas game after we failed to convert on 4th down. Thank God I won that argument. The '04 Florida game was insane when Wilhoit made the FG. I ended up a section over and about 5 rows closer to the field during the celebration and lost my hat.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Similar to several, I grew up with parents who were ardent UT fans. They had season tickets starting in the early '60's and took my brother and I to our first game in '58, Ole Miss. I was ten, and even back then when Neyland was in the shape of a U with no seating in the open end, it was an electric atmosphere. I knew there was no other college I would attend. I had been attending games at least once per year since 1958 until Dooley was hired. Now my physical health situation makes it difficult to go, but I hope to attend again some day. I would truly love to go to one of the tailgate affairs and meet some of you. I went to Freak's tailgate parties at VN, and enjoyed them. First time I met hat was at one of them.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Because I am. It isn't changing. I'm a TN fan in general. Defend her daily.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

When you're born in Knoxville, you don't have much of a.choice.

5. The only way of life I know...for better or worse. Obviously, there's been a lot more worse than better lately.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was amazing how quiet it was when Wilhoit was lining up and how loud it sounded when his foot hit the ball.

Then, chaos

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

After the 2005 LSU game, I remember hearing "when the levee breaks" blaring from a house.

We partied until sunrise that night and greeted the team's buses on campus.

It was fun

8. Probably my favorite memory at Neyland.

(Not my vid)

[video=youtube;AJ_2leQ-1Ew]https://youtu.be/AJ_2leQ-1Ew[/video]

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Because all my exes live in Texas.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Best yet

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I’ve been a Tennessee fan my entire life. Doesn’t matter what sport I always wanted the Big Orange to win. My parents were UT fans especially my dad. So I grew up cheering for the Vols. I was born in 80 so I can fondly remember the 1985 season and the magic of beating Miami in the Sugar Bowl that year. Some of my most vivid memories revolve around Tennessee football. I used to love hearing John Ward on the radio with the TV turned down. My mom used to put up the Christmas tree right around Thanksgiving so I remember many times getting the Christmas decorations out of the barn and putting up the tree while the Vols were playing Vandy.

I had to get a job when I was 14 because my dad became disabled and I had to help my mom pay the house payment and the electric bill. So, from 94 to 99, I was working in retail at a local K-Mart. Thankfully working in Electronics I could see some of the Tennessee games. The one’s that were broadcast on CBS at least. So, when Memphis State beat the Vols by some miracle I was so irritated that I broke a wooden table with my right fist and for my effort put the bone of my right hand through the skin. Still have the scar as a reminder of how stupid that was. I was at work when UT played Arkansas in 1998. I remember after Arkansas got the ball back I was nearly in tears. I knew that a loss and we were out of the National Championship picture once again. I remember exactly where I was standing watching the video wall when Arkansas fumbled it back away to us and will never forget that feeling.

Now I’m an adult with even more responsibilities and 3 beautiful little girls. The oldest one is now 6 so she at least understands what UT means to me and it’s starting to mean more to her. For the two year old twins to say Tudown Tennessee makes me feel good that I’m passing on my love for the Vols to my kids. And I still make time at least a couple of times per year to go watch Tennessee play with my parents. To me, Tennessee football is more than just a game. It's time for family to be together and have a good time watching football.

I've only been to a handful of UT games in my life. The first chance I will never forget walking through the tunnel and seeing the field for the first time. Even as a 20 year old it was breathtaking to me. I had the chance to go to the Alabama game in 2006. I had a serious staph infection from getting cut about a month beforehand. It had spread through me and I was in and out of the hospital several times trying to fight off spreading infection. I basically walked out of the hospital late on a Friday night against the doctor's orders to go to the Alabama game because to me it meant more than my health. I didn't know how many times in my life I'd get a chance to go to the Third Saturday in October. I'll never forget that day. I went to the game with my mother and it was her first ever trip to Neyland. It was the last time we beat Bama and just to experience that game was awesome.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If you're not a Vols fan, **** you.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was born one, just as much as I was born a white guy

14. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

If you hang out on VN it's more like, "If you're not Butch Jones worshipper, **** you." Thank God for Randy Broyles inviting me over here a few years ago. If that was the only forum I still frequented being a Vol fan I'd probably swear off my allegiance and start rooting for my other two favorites Virginia and Minnesota. At least with them I expect disappointment.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Grandfather was a huge UT fan. Had season tickets and my first memory of seeing the Neyland turf from my Dad's shoulders hooked me at an early age.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

First game I vividly remember watching was the 86 Liberty Bowl. We beat Minnesota 21-14. I know I watched games before then, I just don't remember them.

First game was in 87. We beat Cal (Sorry dros) 38-12.

17. nomojo

nomojo Member

I was born in Tennessee, have always lived in Tennessee, so being a fan of the University of Tennessee was a logical choice. I live closer to Memphis State (which is what it was in my formative years) and Ole Miss, but neither were never on TV and totally irrelevant on the national scene.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I was born at the UTK hospital.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

So I am not a True Fan, then? I was born in Plantation, Florida. Kind of like how in Jaws you can never be an Islander if you are not born there.

I feel sad.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You're still a fan, but I am a true Vol for life.