Why do Big 8 schools abbreviate like that?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Aug 11, 2014.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

MU, KU, CU, OU, NU (sometimes). Probably someone else out there that moves the U to the end, but the Big 8 schools are the only ones off the top of my head.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm not sure you understand what's going on.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Schools west of the Mississippi tend to abbreviate that way because so many of the potential acronyms were taken already by the time they were founded.

Examples: U of Colorado became CU because UConn already was using UC. California already had UC (and Cincinnati too). U of Denver is DU because of U of Delaware. UK was taken, so it is KU for Kansas.

Etc. It is a brand thing. Which is partly why Texas is such a [penis].

MU because of Michigan having U of M. Oregon had OU before Oklahoma came to be. Don't know about NU, but I think I've supported by case.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Northwestern is Northwestern University, that one makes sense.

**** Texas

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I think you're generally right, but none of the other state schools outside of the big 8 went this route. Minnesota, Arkansas, Texas, Arizona, Iowa, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon.

Oklahoma is actually predated by Ohio University. Just thought it was interesting.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

For some of those, they got first dibs on the abbreviation. For others, BOTH were already taken.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Texas is just glad Davy Crockett came down there and kept them from having to be MU, Mexico University, dadgummit

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Hilariously well delivered.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

If not fer Davey en a couple Broyles boys they's all speakin' Mexican and sneaking into Oklahoma.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now that you mention it, maybe Davey and the Broyles boys did Mexico a favor.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well hell yes they did. How would you like having to sneak into Oklahoma?