World-shattering Fact about UT and UGA Mascots

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 26, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Three things have come together perhaps for the first time in history, which has led to me being exposed to a startling and perhaps esoteric fact.

1. It is National Dog Day, for some reason.
    2. Twitter is awash with college football buzz due to the season starting tomorrow.
    3. I am off work.

These three things combined led me to see a dumb Georgia Football tweet with a video about Uga the dog. I didn't watch the video, I just saw the first image of it: Uga I, looking not as inbred as the modern American Bulldog. You know, more like an actual viable creature that doesn't need a veterinarian to jack it off and hand deliver the semen in order for it to reproduce. But then, I guess it grew into becoming the perfect mascot for the University of Georgia.

But anyway. Uga I became the mascot in 1956. 1956?! You are telling me the barking, misspelling, dumb dawgs of Georgia do not have the longest unbroken line of living dog mascots in their own division?! Before that it was random-ass English bulldogs that weren't even related to their predecessors.

The Smokey Supremacy must be made known. 1953, mother [uck fay]ers. That's over two dog decades longer.

Another interesting note is that Smokey VIII is the most winningest Smokey. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

UGA 1 looks much more like an Olde English Bulldog than a traditional English Bulldog.

We have an Olde English Bulldog. Great dog. Uglier than shit, but by far one of the best dogs I've ever had.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Bulldogs are fine except for the fact they only live to be like 6 years old due to being a mutant breed. Would never want to get a bulldog and grow attached to it only to have it die on me in a few months. Blue Ticks have great personalities and are stunningly beautiful dogs, but they aren't ideal if you live around people in a city or suburb because they are so damn loud.

As for me personally I've found you can't go wrong with rescuing a Labrador or Pitbull. By far my two favorite breeds of dogs I've ever had.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

People better be willing to put a lot of time into their dog if they get a pitbull. They're great dogs but they need a lot of training and handling.

justingroves likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Bulldogs run up vet bills. Smokey runs after prey.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Never had a pitbull puppy, but I can see that. You must be willing and able to walk a pit twice a day everyday otherwise they can get stir crazy. The pit I had was adopted when he was 3 or so and came to me already trained and housebroken. Never had any issues with getting him to listen to me. He could not have been more affectionate. All he wanted was to be on someone's lap 24/7. He loved absolutely every single person and animal he came across. I swear he would even play with and chase bugs in the backyard yet would go out of his way to be as incredibly gentle with them as possible. But yes, Pits need to be treated as indoor dogs so they can feel included in order for them to be the best dog they can be. Miss that guy.

As far as Labs the only thing I dislike about them is how they are heathens when they are young. Our familiy's first lab we ever had literally chewed down a tree in our backyard one day when we weren't home as a puppy. Labs act like puppies until they are like 6. But once they get past that phase of their life middle aged/older labs are as good of dogs as there are.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Having to clean beneath their folds and constantly being subjected to hearing their hog-like breathing and snoring would be annoying too.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I had a blue tick when my wife and I were dating. She lived a few blocks away and could hear him howling inside her house. Crazy how loud he could get.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

We’ve all heard Smokey from afar at Neyland or on TV, but unless one has been around one in their personal life you don’t appreciate just how loud and unique a blue tick howl is. They are a bad idea if you are surrounded by others living right by you.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Raccoon hunting is fun as hell

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You've got to work their asses off and even then, you'll get tired before them. I love labs, I've had several but they're work

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

my ole lab Mousse who passed away a few years ago would have been an incredible hunting dog.

justingroves likes this.