Worse Hiring Position...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Nov 27, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tennessee right now or...

Tennessee in 2o10 the day after Kiffin left?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

UT right now. Not even close. 2010 UT was just a year away from the Reign of Fulmer, East 'title' in 2007.

We are so far removed from that now, and the AD is even more chaotic and hellbent on killing itself.

utvol0427 likes this.
  3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I vote now. Also very concerned we're trying to rush the hire - again. We must restore a modicum of order before proceeding.

TimRoo likes this.
  4. gcbvol

Plus we're coming off the worst season/team in the program's history.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

2010. TIming was much worse, late January, and roster more depleted.

And Tee will be a better hire than [ddiapos].

6. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

Right. This is the period where hires are made. We don’t have to scramble, but we do have to be serious and really go after a good coach. We’ve missed a lot of opportunities because of yesterday (Sumlin, Jimbo), but plenty of good coaches far better than Dooley and Butch still out there.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Keep in mind we very likely will have to hire a new AD before a new football hire. No guarantee this thing gets done quickly and all the good coaches are as gone as they were in 2010 at this point.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We also aren't sitting on a top 5 class like we were then, too.

9. volinbham

volinbham Member

I say write off 2018 - hire an interim - fire Currie and restart the search next summer.

PUNT

10. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

Yeah, I think any coach halfway decent knows Currie’s time is limited now, even if he is allowed to make the hire. And no coach wants to work for a new AD that didn’t hire them.

Schiano’s (without the baggage) basically the ceiling with Currie still involved.

11. gcbvol

Probably what we should do. Have to replace AD first and work on restoring order. The place is a disaster right now. I'd much rather sacrifice 1 year versus another 4-5, which is exactly what will happen if we try to rush a hire in the midst of an inferno.

dc4utvols and TimRoo like this.
  12. cpninja

cpninja Member

Yes. The worst thing to happen would be signing another Butch to a 5yr deal in panic. R-E-L-A-X and go ahead and bury 2018 season and let's get the next one right.

13. TimRoo

TimRoo Member

If we can get a solid hire (Cut?, Kiffin, Les Miles, maybe a few others) I say go for it. But if that’s not likely, then yeah, I’m completely with you guys.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep, the 0-8 SEC season pretty much killed any standing legacy we might have as far as one of this or that. So just let it happen now, relax, and make the right freaking hire.

15. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Can't wait until Tennessee trots Art Briles to the podium.

16. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

You know that won’t happen man.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

John Adams is making a fool of himself on Finebaum right now.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Feels redundant

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If Currie makes the hire. This year by a mile

gcbvol likes this.
  20. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

This year.

It’s over. Shut it down