The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still feel like stocks aren’t real.

we put a set percentage every paycheck into them but mentally it feels like I’m making a payment.

I hope some of the crypto currencies workout and decentralize some of the power from the state but I don’t understand it and feels fake to me too.

I generally just buy land once we get enough money saved up that I feel like we’re wasting it in the bank.

justingroves likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It’s down from the top. No one said people aren’t stupid

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If you can find a few that generate some nice dividends, that’s good way to get a little cash back while continuing to grow your portfolio.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why? In gambling the outcome is variable.

In stocks, it is not. In a stock, yes. But in stocks, no. Which is why you diversify, across lots of stocks in various industries.

The only thing that can bring such a thing down is the end of days.

The overall market may go down, here and there, but will bounce back.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Market goes up 7 out of 10 years on average. Just don’t put all your money in tesla or any one stock. Put it in an index fund and forget it

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Are you trying to put yourself out of business?!?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

90 percent of people don’t have the discipline to actually do this and save enough for retirement and need hand holding.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Every penny I have is in a mutual fund io some type.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

NFTs are beanie babies for rich people

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

When you fellers lose your pants, just don't come digging around my back yard.

11. NorrisAlan

I know, it is satire, but I laugh at Roger Horton.

12. CardinalVol

Any thoughts on how to fix the supply chain mess?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Penalize trucking companies that do not honor their appointments for container pickup at ports. Most countries do. We don't. Now that the ports are open 24 hours, trucking is not utilizing those night hours and still regularly missing schedule pickups, creating less available space for offloading ships.

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Truckers are pretty heavily regulated based on hours they can drive and all that jazz. It's hard to find people committed to driving only 8 hour stretches, and all at night.

But it's ripe for automation... one day.

15. NorrisAlan

It's coming.

16. CardinalVol

Here is the problem, and I say this have 2 trucking companies as clients - it's insanely hard to do when there are not enough truck drivers. This is one area that isn't just political BS, it's 100% accurate. There are not enough drivers.

justingroves likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

And yet the interstates are bumper to bumper semi's. We have built a system on trucking with "just in time" shipping around the world. This is the natural outcome to a global event like COVID. It'll take a year for this to smooth out. Maybe we should reconsider doing some central planning. and using rail more.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

And, we all know what happened next.

justingroves likes this.
  19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They've regulated the trucking industry too much and has killed the little guys, and now it's mostly big players.

california has their own state regulations that's only adding to it on not allowing older trucks on the roads

10SEvols likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

maybe because if they didn't, there would still be a poisonous brown cloud over the state.