2023 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by The Dooz, Sep 29, 2022.

1. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Yeah they won’t win it imo because of their options past him are not great. But we wouldn’t get the benefit of playing them again the 2nd game. Tough to climb out of that losers bracket.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Baseball rules question: in the 10th inning yesterday, Clemson seemingly had won with a run scored. Review found that there had been a double play (runner to 1st was out), but it did not involve the runner. Why did that matter if the guy on third had already scored? Am I misunderstanding something?

3. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Everyone had us ticketed for omaha too and we were better than this LSU team. Anything can happen.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If the batter is the third out in the inning, he has to reach first base safely (but then can be thrown out after rounding the bag or trying for a double, etc. and the run can count depending on which happens first), or no runs can score

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Because the runner to 1st was deemed to be 3rd out.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Explained differently, if the third out is caught in the air, a force out at first base, or a tag between home and first, no runs can score (or obviously a caught strikeout, or uncommon stuff like the batter running outside the baselines on the way to first). Once none of those are possible, any runs scored before the third out is recorded count.

In the case of a 3-6 double play, where the first baseman steps on the bag and then throws to second for a tag, the run would count if the runner touches home before the tag (95% on this), so order matters.

IP likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So this is why one tends to throw to second and then first, as it might make a difference in preventing someone scoring form third?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. KyleAlexanderfan

I guess if they get WVU I could see it happening, but ND was better.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Main reason is probably that it's two force plays, which makes it faster/more reliable than having to execute a tag, but it also makes sense to have the batter be the third out if possible

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  10. KyleAlexanderfan

Who is going to have the better pitcher available at 6? CLT/Clemson?

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

IP likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If the third out is a force (i.e. someone was required by the rules to go to a certain base, and they did not make it there before being put out), any runs scored don’t matter.

If the third out is not a force (e.g. tag someone trying to go for an extra base), it goes with whatever happened first, the score or the out.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    dknash likes this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because that double play was outs 2 and 3

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

My goodness Clemson getting every call on the field this weekend (fortunately replay overturned a couple yesterday).

Brutal right there for Charlotte, even if it’s not an awful call, it wasn’t automatic either.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Hmmm, IP doesn't know a basic baseball rule...

IP=Tenny?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I have a question. Is our men's game gonna be televised or have I got to stream it on ESPN+?

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I kinda hated it, not because it was wrong, but because it kinda just happened, the guy wasn’t trying to interfere

19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Weird stat.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s pretty dramatic in his case but tons of starters have that kind of trend